yatsubusa black pine bulge

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I haven't done much carving. This little yatsubusa pine has a large bulge where a grouping of branches were removed. It caused an ugly sore that appears to be reverse taper now. I really like this tree and want to try to carve it out to hide some of the issue. It is a neat little tree and I look forward to its future. Anyone ever do anything similar on pines. Or any other suggestions...live with it ?

Jesse 20160109_121654.jpg20160109_121612.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you cut out the knob, you will have a huge scar that will take a while to heal. The best way to induce healing is to use cut paste, and let a sacrifice branch grow tall. For a couple years. Of course, when you remove it, you will have another scar! So choose the location of the sacrifice carefully, do it will be in the back.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's only about 10"? Little compared to my other trees :D..Adair thanks for the reply that's what I figured.I want to fatten up the trunk anyway and am in no hurry to , I've got so many projects right now. I stay very busy though out the entire year pretty much.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is it grafted there?
Not sure , I don't think so but I could be wrong. Of course white pine grafts are easily identifiable here's a close up

Attachments

• 1452367509894.jpg
    1452367509894.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 1452367732250.jpg
    1452367732250.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 1452367782367.jpg
    1452367782367.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 81

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Frankly, no matter what you do, it's not going to be very pretty. The bulge pretty much goes all around the trunk. You could cut some out as mentioned, and glue some bark back on to cover it up as it heals.

This kind of thing is very difficult if not impossible to fix. Because of that, I would never have bought it. There was time when I probably would have. I'm much pickier now.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's for your input..this one might go to the auction block for some other poor soul :cool:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was my first initial thought when purchased .
Seems like a reasonable solution, it won't create the ideal tree but maybe embracing the ugly in this case can lead somewhere interesting.
I don't know if these things can be layered or how feasible root grafting at the base of the bulge would be but that could be a tree saver maybe?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No root grafting or layering around what would be a dope ass base?

I hate grafting with a passion....

But I would sure as Hell try to graft roots up around that sick ass would be base.....
Hell, that would be so dope I might just above it down and see what happens for ten years before selling it..

I still like my material shitty/challenging.:confused:

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No root grafting or layering around what would be a dope ass base?

I hate grafting with a passion....

But I would sure as Hell try to graft roots up around that sick ass would be base.....
Hell, that would be so dope I might just above it down and see what happens for ten years before selling it..

I still like my material shitty/challenging.:confused:

Sorce
Why do you hate grafting? Grafting can be fun!

image.jpeg

That's Kishu grafted onto a plum tree!

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
SometInes I look at all the shit I have and freak.like shit I gotta get rid of some of these, just sold an elm and shimpaku last week. May have a couple more up here soon..this way I can bring in some better stock

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I can have it?

:)

No need to ship...I'll send the drones!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's what I really need is a drone. Not sure why but I need one send the drone and I'll ship the tree!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hell. O. L.

If I had one I would totally do it just to make barter history!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I do like to barter ..would rather barter than deal with cash. I have some deer hides I'm willing to part with

Top Bottom