Yatsubusa Cryptomeria

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm thinking about buying one of these from my local Bonsai Nursery -

The nursery has two, and when I first looked at them last spring, they had a noticeable amount of browning foliage. The owner tells me this is typical of these trees after the winter (i'm in zone 7). I'm hoping that i could minimize or eliminate this problem by keeping the tree close to my house during the winter, and possibly a few degrees warmer than they are at the nursery. This is a typical, stubborn, novice approach i know (experienced bonsai person tells me something that I dont' want to hear).

It's possible that they have been in the nursery pots a little too long and need a repot, but otherwise they have been taken good care of.

Ridley

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Could also be cryptomeria Bandai Sugi, I cant remember and I can’t tell the difference beteeen the two on google.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Could also be cryptomeria Bandai Sugi, I cant remember and I can’t tell the difference beteeen the two on google.

Hi Rid,
I have a couple of Cryptomeria’s I am playing with (in development) including Bandai Sugi. Even in my zone, 9b I think, I get lots of bronzing foliage which turns green as soon as the Spring comes round, warmer temperatures, etc.
So yep, totally normal, and I like the way this species ramifies quickly. So go for it ?
Also, you might be able to reduce the browning via fertiliser, but this is not proven totally.
Charles

Reactions: Rid

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Rid,
I have a couple of Cryptomeria’s I am playing with (in development) including Bandai Sugi. Even in my zone, 9b I think, I get lots of bronzing foliage which turns green as soon as the Spring comes round, warmer temperatures, etc.
So yep, totally normal, and I like the way this species ramifies quickly. So go for it ?
Also, you might be able to reduce the browning via fertiliser, but this is not proven totally.
Charles
Good thought, but It’s not the winter bronzing, it’s definitely partially dead foliage. I saw the same trees about a month ago. Brown foliage was still there, owner said that they just hadn’t cleaned them up.
Ridley

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I gave up on them because of the tendency to occasionally shed branches for no apparent reason.

Top Bottom