'Yatsubusa' elm air-layer project

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a 15 yr. old Ulmus parviflora 'Yatsubusa' that I've had for a couple of years. It was acquired from a fellow club member who purchased if from someone going out of the propagation hobby. I've spent the last 2 years getting it healthy and allowing it to flush out.

As you can tell, it has several reverse taper "lumps" resulting from about 3 drastic chops during its growth history. They are exaggerated by the corky bark. Rather than having one lumpy elm I am planning to air-layer it in multiple spots to (hopefully) create 4 smaller trees. Once the layers are removed and potted, a cuff will be placed at the location of the cut to prevent another lumpy reverse taper as it produces branches.

Any constructive thoughts or comments welcome.

Best,
Kirk

4451099450_b975fa544b.jpg

4450327847_3ac66b587a.jpg

4451159002_c842117d4f.jpg

Last edited:

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Great plan.
Remember, the bottom of your layer doesn't have to be the top of the tree below it.
Good luck,
Chris

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great plan.
Remember, the bottom of your layer doesn't have to be the top of the tree below it.
Good luck,
Chris

Thanks, Chris. That is part of the plan. I want to layer them at an optimum spot for a good nebari on the new layer. Any wide spots at the new tops can be trimmed down to keep a reverse taper from being present from the start of the new tree.

Best,
Kirk

bonsaimeister

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kirk,

Do remember that the roots generally emerge from above your cut, so I might lower your lines a half inch or so to have the ideal base. Just my experience airlayering yatsubusa and cork barks elms.

Good luck and keep us posted,
BM

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, BM. This should be a fun project tree. Hopefully the end result will be worthwhile. I've done quite a few air-layers but I haven't done 3 at the same time, on the same trunk. As it is, "Lumpy" isn't too attractive in his current form. If the top layers work then I'll consider them gravy. Otherwise, I was going to lop it off and re-grow a much smaller shohin elm from the base and try to avoid all of the reverse taper bulges.

Kirk

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I just saw this! Please don't air-layer this tree! It is too good to chop down like that. The lumps and reverse tapers are perfectly nice on this tree. They are part of the charm of the cork-bark trees. In 2-3 more years, this could be a very nice specimen bonsai. When the branches thicken up, it will be spectacular.
Si

Last edited:

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, Si. I love the Chinese elms you just posted.

I haven't done anything to the Yatsubusa yet. I'm willing to put it to the forum and consider any thoughts, comments, critiques about its future.

My best,
Kirk

Top Bottom