Yatsubusa elm from evergreen garden works. Some ideas to consider.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The yatsubusa is right up there with corticosa in terms of bark texture. Below a detail of mine.

Just mirroring what @MACH5 said. Yatsubusa is considered a corky barked cultivar, though it corks up differently than corticosa. That and the leaf shape make it an appealing cultivar, IMHO. It grows robustly and maintains tight foliage pads... as much if not more so than standard Chinese elm. It is also one of the easiest trees to propagate via cutting.

yatsubusa.jpg

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut back pretty hard. As much as I wanted to keep all the twigginess, my long term goal will be more about taper and transition. I suspect I’ll have to cut back pretty hard for several more years before the winter silhouette looks as good as it can. Also, considering how prolific this tree was, the yearly growth will be just as great.

6751E42A-F52A-48D8-B035-00B63734077F.jpeg
9FE272D0-DF4A-4695-BAF8-F53900BD7E98.jpeg

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cool tree. I have a Corticosa from Brent that is just a bit behind this guy. Ended up layering off the top, and the separated layer dropped all of its leaves early summer 2021. They never grew back.

It’s still green under the bark, so I believe it’s still alive. It’s a long time to go without leaves, though. Wondering if I should keep it in the refrigerator in a bag until spring to let it chill? I’m in zone 10.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I like the original game plan.

In looking at these last pics I got to thinking about how this most recent "goal to shoot for" type rendition, a "drawing", kinda has an ability to keep us static, not allowing the tree to do it's half.

That made me think about how stands drawings require them to look exactly like they were drawn, or at least, the wood won't grow on you. So I got to worrying about if you may be remaining in "stand mode", when contemplating a tree. I believe the drawing in the original game plan points to this being true.

That original drawing shows your idea to have branches moving back towards the main trunk. Before going back to find it I thought about how hard it would be to do this nicely bit certainly figured you could.

Somewhere in there I got to thinking about Smokes stick figure drawings thread to identify the difficulty in the position of that first branch.
Made me look at the tree as possibly better as 2.
Then when I went back and saw the "here's what I'm working with" picture, and the growth after, well, have YOU gone and seem that growth?😲

That made me think about this thing we all do, which is, not go back and recognize where we had mad success, that we may have questioned at the time, and reassess a whole new plan like, "shit, I got this". Something about knowing you'd realize a nice piece of wood to use for a stand, but you're not realizing the growth you're getting is like that good wood. I'd say chop all the BS off and start over!
Thought about Smokes "safety cut" thread around there...
I'd treat this whole thing like a "safety cut".
Now that you know what it will do..try again!

Of course, that's only to avoid the difficulty of getting to that original game plan. Which is pretty dope. Stay that course.

Sorce

Oh...I only went back and found that photo cuz the white bottom pot on white bottom trunk was making me 🤢, lol ..but seriously, I had to go looking for if that was intentional, but I found so many other interesting things I forgot to care, but damn...lol! Cheers.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

In looking at these last pics I got to thinking about how this most recent "goal to shoot for" type rendition, a "drawing", kinda has an ability to keep us static, not allowing the tree to do it's half.

That made me think about how stands drawings require them to look exactly like they were drawn, or at least, the wood won't grow on you. So I got to worrying about if you may be remaining in "stand mode", when contemplating a tree. I believe the drawing in the original game plan points to this being true.

That original drawing shows your idea to have branches moving back towards the main trunk. Before going back to find it I thought about how hard it would be to do this nicely bit certainly figured you could.

Somewhere in there I got to thinking about Smokes stick figure drawings thread to identify the difficulty in the position of that first branch.
Then when I went back and saw the "here's what I'm working with" picture, and the growth after, well, have YOU gone and seem that growth?😲

That made me think about this thing we all do, which is, not go back and recognize where we had mad success, that we may have questioned at the time, and reassess a whole new plan like, "shit, I got this". Something about knowing you'd realize a nice piece of wood to use for a stand, but you're not realizing the growth you're getting is like that good wood. I'd say chop all the BS off and start over!

Of course, that's only to avoid the difficulty of getting to that original game plan. Which is pretty dope. Stay that course.

Sorce

Oh...I only went back and found that photo cuz the white bottom pot on white bottom trunk was making me 🤢, lol ..but seriously, I had to go looking for if that was intentional, but I found so many other interesting things I forgot to care, but damn...lol! Cheers.
Sooooo. You don’t like the heavy chop because I’m not letting the tree do what it wants to do and I had a better early game plan? I actually really like the progress and its growth. I think by the end of next season I will have double the amount of mature growth to cut back to, with quality taper to match. and I also think I’ve stuck pretty well to a good game plan. Only thing I could have done different I feel is to do less trimming in the growing season, which was probably less than I could have!
BB6FC9A7-4608-4F9B-B82E-98572CBD49BD.jpeg
in the original drawing I did not illustrate branches drooping or sagging as the grow further from the trunk as I think they would do in nature. In this latest rendition I illustrated that. I like it sorce and I feel I stuck pretty close to the original game plan! I always appreciate your comments though. Always makes me read and re read your words. Not sure if ever fully understand, but i try.

The pot though… I hate. 🤮

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce

Out of curiosity sorce, how might you have handled it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah....I definitely didn't organize that well.

This pic made me think of the difficulty in utilizing the backward "F". The F to me is the most unnatural feeling shape to start from. I would do Smokes stick figure excersize to "feel" that.
Capture+_2021-11-17-05-45-31.png

From there I moved onto the new drawn rendition, which I like, but somehow this thought popped up of how drawings (as helpful as they are @Anthony😊) have this ability to keep us too static, too rigid. Not that it effects you, it was just a random thought, until I thought about how, circumstantially, you may be extra prone to that trap of exacting staticness, due to the fact that stand building more or less requires it. Not that it's happening, but I couldn't think it and not share it.

A new now idea of the perils of drawings, complete sidenote....you see how the first game plan drawing has the left branch a little closer to the trunk, slightly more upright. These little "fakes", misdrawn lines, if seen as the foundation of what we are building, don't really exist, so everything built on them may be not as good as the drawing. Again not that that's happening, but a danger to watch for.

Lines....at some point around my Smoke Stick figure excersize thought, I wanted to ask you to view the lines of this tree, more along the "lines" of stand building, which is akin to the Smoke excersize, to see the, what may even be unfixable odd F shape. But I'm not here to make your decision, only to make you think deeper about your decision, and make your own conclusion, which I except will be different than mine, because I hope for it to just point out the difficulty I wish for you to overcome. Because you have a determination that is greater than mine, I just think a lot.

So I would probably have done exactly the same thing to this point....except taking the easy out when confronted with the F shape.
Except for when I thought you said you didn't like the lumps, but what you actually said was, "I'll embrace them", which to me is, "I don't like them", but in the "negative space" of the idea, if you will. The subsequent growth you got says you don't have to "embrace them" if you don't wish, with which I fully agree, which prompted the thoughts about going back to see what you actually accomplished, so you can know you can make this whatever you wish, even sans lumps.

The proof pic.
C66F95F0-082C-42A1-8A5D-E25889C3E760.jpeg

That one extra branch on the right side is the only thing that soured perfection IMO.
Things like, "I can't believe the growth I got on this", and, "these things bud like crazy all down the trunk", are the things that go against keeping this imperfection. I think you could've started a branch lower off that knob, or could all together start it over. I know it will take so much more bud rubbing to keep it clean, few people are worth the effort of telling this to. Your determination makes you one of the few.

I would like to ask how you are approaching bud rubbing and pruning. For me, with trees like this, I consider the 80% of buds rubbed out as most of the available pruning for the year, so I wouldn't prune anything off the parts you wish to keep.

I have a few more thoughts on why I don't like the new drawing, but it is subtle dumb shit and I wanted to get all this cleared up first.

I just feel like you wanted better than this, and the truth that you absolutely can have better than this seems to have gotten lost in time. I'd rather you embrace your excellence than these lumps!

Sorce

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looking great! I wonder if you might carve out some of the reverse taper heaviness here so that it’ll heal this season?

205C788A-0BD9-455B-BE27-E0CDEA077FBC.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking great! I wonder if you might carve out some of the reverse taper heaviness here so that it’ll heal this season?

View attachment 426894
Yeah that’s probably my least favorite part of the tree. But I’m trying to embrace the lumpiness of the species. I will def ponder the idea though. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not the greatest year for this tree so far. It’s grown but only mildly well and def not vigorous. Quite a bit of the growth is browning out at the edges, which leads me to think that there is some type of stressor, from either repot, too wet, or possibly too hot?

It looks better in the pic because most of the browning leaves fell off so easily. This is a second growth from those spots.

Any thoughts on ailment?
77120D98-ADE2-47A5-942D-8BDEEC4D43B6.jpeg
31723EC9-7868-4D4C-AB66-707009E84F33.jpegBEB4C66F-0C41-4E3B-8809-FD1C84A8F6AE.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ifnyiure watering sith the same frequency, bigger (shallow) pot means more water has to be removed from the medium before the roots suffer anoxia.

IOW, I suspect you're watering too frequently now. Stretch it out a bit and vitality may return in a few weeks. Then you can progress toward restoring your usual watering frequency, maybe.

... just my first thought.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darn, I hope this one recovers well. It's on a great path to being a really nice tree - despite all of that nonsense about cutting everything off and starting over. Have you ruled out fungal issues?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some Tokoname pots have better drainage than others. Maybe tilt a bit after watering so it can dry evenly.

That's the not so great part about these shallower pots, they'll hold on to the water more than you think, then go bone-dry in a wink......

Your climate though.....got to be on the extremes, hotter than ya' like, followed by a way too cool evening....something like that....

I've killed A LOT of Elms, hopefully me commenting doesn't ring in this Elm's ears!!!!

Top Bottom