Yatsubusa elm from evergreen garden works. Some ideas to consider.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darn, I hope this one recovers well. It's on a great path to being a really nice tree - despite all of that nonsense about cutting everything off and starting over. Have you ruled out fungal issues?
Some Tokoname pots have better drainage than others. Maybe tilt a bit after watering so it can dry evenly.

That's the not so great part about these shallower pots, they'll hold on to the water more than you think, then go bone-dry in a wink......

Your climate though.....got to be on the extremes, hotter than ya' like, followed by a way too cool evening....something like that....

I've killed A LOT of Elms, hopefully me commenting doesn't ring in this Elm's ears!!!!
I’m really leaning towards the idea from @LanceMac10 and @0soyoung that it’s getting too wet. It’s my understanding that if it were fungal the darkening or discoloring of the leaves would happen from the inside out, not the outside in. The shallower pot and drainage I think is part of the culprit, also I used a lot more Akadama on this re-pot then I had the year before, so I think that is also contributing.

only time I’ve lost an elm in my climate is from complete stupidity of care. I can’t imagine this one is going to die on me, I just need to dial in its water needs. At least I think that’s what’s going on. Thanks for the replies boys. 👍🏻👊🏻

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They like to be moist, but not too wet. The ones I did heavier root work this spring suffered greatly in the high heat of my area. I had yellowing and dropping leaves which thankfully stopped.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is really coming along. I’m glad I have been doing the heavy cutbacks each fall. It’s really made the taper and transition in branches very tight.

As I extend further away from the trunk I will start gradually bringing the branches down to give appearance I see in natural or urban elms
Front
IMG_5935.jpeg
Back
IMG_5936.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think ultimately it’ll look best with that wound closed.

Top Bottom