yatsubusa elm

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
these elms are addictive
i can't get enough of them,this is my newest purchase a yatsubusa elm.
i think i'm getting a little more quality material and this is a little more mature than my recent purchases.

i'd like to grow it out to at least 1 1/2" -2" trunk
P1060965.JPG

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You don't know the half of it!

The Trooper even!
You take my life.
I'll take yours too.
You fire your musket.
I'll run you through.
The song is about the charge of the light brigade.

I know, don't you just love some Maiden! Working midnights in the lab this week, rocking to it now!

John

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i love iron maiden and the trooper beer-i always seem to have a bottle around for size comparison in photos.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i got a question about elms-
the guy i've been getting alot of material from has his trees in a pumice/perlite mix,but these elms have been in a mostly organic mix.
does this mean elms like a mostly organic mix?

nice to see some other metal heads here

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I grow mine in my regular mix of lava, pumice, tuface, and fir bark (6o/40 inorganic to organic). I think Mike grows his elms in straight Napa oil dry. So I would say that they would do better in more bonsai like soil.

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Working midnights in the lab this week, rocking to it now!

There is a B movie in that scenario!

I had my first elms in more or less regular dirt.
I don't remember them growing.
In rocks and dirt, they grew.

In Napa Oil Dry 8822....I believe "apeshit", "bonkers", and "like mad", are proper descriptive words of the growth.

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
i got a question about elms-

They grow well in anything that drains good. Ours go in a home made nursery mix. 50/50 Premium Topsoil(no clay), Coarse Sand, and a healthy handful or two of Perlite. But as I said they grow in most anything that drains ok.

Grimmy

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Elms will grow on a wide variety of substrates, but if they stay on the wetter side, they form those fat,white water roots. These fleshy roots are more susceptible to rot and decay when cut.
Therefore, I use a drier mix of maybe 20 percent pine bark, 20% sand, 30% lava, 30% pumice. This minimizes fleshy roots and maximizes fine feeder roots.
Elms also seem to be able to take up water through their leaves. It's probably more to do with reduced transpirational loss, but watering elm leaves seems effective.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i've been growing regular chinese elms as well as american elms this year and i'm more than happy with how well they've done in my mix(aprox 20% pine bark,30% fullers earth and the rest pumice with a little granite grit)so it sounds like i'll stick with it.
i just thought maybe these fancier varieties may have liked organic

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i've been growing regular chinese elms as well as american elms this year and i'm more than happy with how well they've done in my mix(aprox 20% pine bark,30% fullers earth and the rest pumice with a little granite grit)so it sounds like i'll stick with it.
i just thought maybe these fancier varieties may have liked organic

All of mine are in pure inorganic soil and kick butt. I use miracle gro on them at 3 times the strength it says on the box at least once per week. Until it's running out. Some are going to get it 3 times per week this coming year and one lucky recipient will be getting it every day. Just to see what one can take.

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
oh yeah i'm not afraid to use the fert either a hefty dose of miracle grow once or twice a week and mixing in some fish emulsion every now and than(which also helps keep the foam from forming from the miracle grow).plus a sprinkle of oscomote a couple times during season.

Top Bottom