Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Got this Yatsubusa today, and I am very happy with the purchase. However as you can see, there are some spots with inverse taper/knobbing (which is very typical of yatsubusa elms). Obviously I'm thinking air layers, one at the top under at that bulge, and one at the bottom right on that bulge. Any other ideas? I'd have to do them one at a time I believe because two air layers encompassing 100% of the foliage, with the bottom air layer hardly having any for itself seems risky.

I'll have to cut some of the branches to stop the inverse taper, and to even do the air layer, so I'll do that as the buds are swelling and make some hard wood cuttings.

Any other ideas? Perhaps air layering the top as a mame/shohin and just ignoring the bottom bulge? Possible that as the bottom section corks, and with a few sacrifice branches, I could minimize the inverse taper? Or I could just air layer the whole thing at the bottom bulge and either live with that top bulge, or air layer the top at a later date?

IMG_4721 2.jpgIMG_4717 2.jpg

IMG_4719 2.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Perhaps air layering the top as a mame/shohin and just ignoring the bottom bulge?

That was my first thought.

You could still use the bottom part though, maybe a second air-layer after the first one is severed, in the second year?...

Some would say"Bin it!", but the harder the challenge, the more interesting the path to beauty is (Zygmund Shakespeare).

Caleb Campbell

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That was my first thought.

You could still use the bottom part though, maybe a second air-layer after the first one is severed, in the second year?...

Some would say"Bin it!", but the harder the challenge, the more interesting the path to beauty is (Zygmund Shakespeare).
That is the current game plan. The top section will be a cool little tree itself, maybe a tiny multi trunk, and as the air layered roots thicken, the flair would look nice.

Top Bottom