Yaupon Hollies for sale or trade.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
I have some big hollies that im wanting to sale or trade. They are 30+ years old. Let me know.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
I can get some tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone was interested.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
ok so here is one pic that i found. I can take better ones tomorrow.
yauponholly2.jpg

By buffrider at 2011-07-29
yaouponholly2.jpg

By buffrider at 2011-07-29

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Are these the Schillings Dwarf variety? If so they mak great bonsai. Please show us more pics.

Bob O

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Are these the Schillings Dwarf variety? If so they mak great bonsai. Please show us more pics.

Bob O

How much would you pay for one Bob? He mentioned on another forum how a guy was coming in and could pay $500 for just one. Are Yaupon Hollies really worth that??

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
I'll take some pics tonight when I get off work.
I have seen them for more on the Internet. So I really don't know how much they are worth. I have five of them and only want to keep two of them. There is this one and two others that one looks like it could be a raft style and the others are multiple trunked so could look like a forest or dig it deeper and make a raft I think.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Oh and all I know is that they are Yaupon Hollies.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ryan,
No couldn't go but about a tenth of that. :eek:

Bob O

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I don't know what the market would be like for them in your area and price would be subjective, determined by what the buyer sees in the material. That being said I have dug and sold similar material for between $50 & $100.

Post some more and better photos and see what kind of response you get.
(I'd suggest shots at eye level and from several sides.)

Bob O

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It all depends on how perfect the nebari is.

For a large yaupon holly, it has to be really good, close to perfection. Which means that there should be no gaps without surface roots, and the angle at which it touches the soil should be near tangential. So, when taking pictures, it's very important that you uncover the WHOLE NEBARI (including the top part of the roots), otherwise the viewer has no idea how good it is.

If the quality is there, I imagine that for a 5+ inch nebari and an interesting trunk, you could ask at least $150, or more. Not sure about $500, but for a really great, monster trunk, and a 6"-7" nebari, $300-400 is imaginable. Just for comparison, a trident of the same size would be about double the price.

But if the nebari has flaws, the price would come down to earth very quickly.

P.S.: I don't think that the dwarf variety would grow to the sizes mentioned above, in a conceivable time frame. So, if it is that big, it must be the regular variety.

P.P.S.: Yaupon hollies are one of the best bonsai material that one can imagine. They are fun and very forgiving, not too many species can surpass them in any respect.

Last edited:

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Well I've checked and they are the dwarf variety. Sorry I haven't taken any pictures. It's been so hott I almost pass out trying to even water them. Lol.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
I'd also be willing to trade two of them for a JBP.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I have seen them for more on the Internet"

That's probably due to the fact that they might be harder to get for people that live in some regions over others. Also could depend on how developed the specimen is and simply how educated the potential buyers are to worth. I've seen Ficus prestock sell on eBay for close to 2-3 time what they are worth if you were to buy them from a nursery in Florida.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Yes I do. I plan on potting them up this spring and putting them on eBay. They got some HUGE trunks on them. I've already started getting branching out. Long way from finished bonsai but still very awesome. Pm me ur number and I'll text ya some pics

Top Bottom