Yaupon Hollies - free in Roswell, GA area

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey everyone - I have a great opportunity for some people in the local Roswell, GA area to get some really nice old yaupon hollies. A neighbor is removing them from his yard and he has about 50 to dig - all around 25 years old with a minimum of 3-4" nebaris. Many are much larger than that. I just dug three yesterday with about 8-10" nebaris. There's no possible way that I can house as many trees as he's getting rid of and I hate to see them thrown out. The plan is that I would dig them with a relatively large intact rootball (clay and all) and you would come by and pick them up. Why would I dig them for you instead of making you do the grunt work? I just want to make sure I'm respectful of the neighbor's property by not inviting strangers over to poke around in the yard. I'm also trying to bank good karma just in case... It's not the absolute best time to collect them, but it's better than nothing and they're free! Hit me up if you're interested! I'll post pictures of the one I've dug to give you all an idea of the sizes soon.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are some that I collected yesterday. I got another one this morning and have three more to dig tomorrow. Still about 50 left to go. It's going to take all my grow bed space and pots I have to get even a portion of them. It might be difficult to tell the scale in the photos, but two bushes just barely fit in my large wheelbarrow. Lifting them into the wheelbarrow took almost everything I had. There are some smaller ones that will fit into a 3-5 gallon pots pretty easily.
E14DA531-9F2B-4592-8281-3ED8C59B3DEB.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some good tooth cutters.

Thizams!

Good peeps FYI.

Sorce

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Hack Yeah! Pleasure to have you over. Next time I'll have to show you my humble collection and some of the cool pots I've collected over the years. There are plenty more where those came from if anyone else is interested!

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Did I miss the party? Just saw this and I am only half an hour away! Do you still have some left? I’d love to take one or two.
Thanks!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did I miss the party? Just saw this and I am only half an hour away! Do you still have some left? I’d love to take one or two.
Thanks!

There will be more to collect in the not so distant future. The owner had plans to redo his garden beds the weekend of July 4th. I had to hustle to remove about 20 bushes from that area. He said that once his hands recover from doing that yard work he plans to start removing more. I'll keep you posted when that happens.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There will be more to collect in the not so distant future. The owner had plans to redo his garden beds the weekend of July 4th. I had to hustle to remove about 20 bushes from that area. He said that once his hands recover from doing that yard work he plans to start removing more. I'll keep you posted when that happens.
Awesome! Thank you so much!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Such a deal! I'd be all over it if I lived a couple of hours closer. Atlanta is a four hour drive for me :(

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm pretty much out of space for ground growing, so any others collected will have to go straight into pots. I think there will be plenty up for grabs when he gets ready to start pulling them up. If all else fails I might see if the ATL bonsai society wants them for workshop material or something. The heat has really turned on here now, so collecting them will be a little more risky. I'll probably have to collect and replant with as many roots (and therefore clay) as possible to ensure they survive the heat and then the winter. Not ideal timing, but this is the hazard of suburban collecting I suppose.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'm pretty much out of space for ground growing, so any others collected will have to go straight into pots. I think there will be plenty up for grabs when he gets ready to start pulling them up. If all else fails I might see if the ATL bonsai society wants them for workshop material or something. The heat has really turned on here now, so collecting them will be a little more risky. I'll probably have to collect and replant with as many roots (and therefore clay) as possible to ensure they survive the heat and then the winter. Not ideal timing, but this is the hazard of suburban collecting I suppose.
Please let me know when the digging starts again. I still have some room in the back yard. Thank you in advance!

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks, they took a little longer to back bud than I thought they would. The second one is about 2 weeks behind the taller one. So once they get going they really take off. We should have a couple of more months of growing , then I'll take extra precautions with wintering them. I had one a couple of years ago that was awesome and didn't protect it through the winter... 🔥 pile. I'm pretty excited about these.

Top Bottom