Yaupon Holly project

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is my one and only yaupon holly and I don't know much about it, but I want to try and make it into something and track it, hence this thread. The pot it is in is actually a bowl thrown 50 years ago not meant for bonsai, but the bottom cracked in the drying process they told me and it drains pretty good. So I went for it and I like how it looks even though it isn't a bonsai pot. Any pearls of wisdom on this species will be appreciated, thanks!!
IMG_0277.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is my one and only yaupon holly and I don't know much about it, but I want to try and make it into something and track it, hence this thread. The pot it is in is actually a bowl thrown 50 years ago not meant for bonsai, but the bottom cracked in the drying process they told me and it drains pretty good. So I went for it and I like how it looks even though it isn't a bonsai pot. Any pearls of wisdom on this species will be appreciated, thanks!!

Really great base, branching and taper on this one. Well, except the last internode of the top, but that would be a tough call for me. Chop it down and you have a long road ahead rebuilding a top with movement. So I might leave it that way, too.

The pot is definitely different. Not terrible, but yes not a bonsai pot. In a tray it would be an entirely new aesthetic.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yaupons are pretty forgiving as far as care goes. Branches and even small twigs are very brittle, so you can't do much wiring. They bud back easily, grow-and-clip works well.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well, except the last internode of the top
Yeah, the big eye sore for this tree. If I take it all the way out, then the middle will be empty or do I cut it half way down, I am at cross road with that branch. I am going to let it grow out and see where it takes me for this year at least. I have had this a short time, are they slow growers?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had this a short time, are they slow growers?

Not sure. I have two, but they are still in 15gal nursery cans after purchasing in the fall, and due for repotting in a couple of months. We will see if they survive. After a few hard freezes (I am in Zone 7), the leaves crisped up, but the yaupons are still green under the bark. Perhaps in my climate they will survive but be deciduous. If they survive, mine will go into a greenhouse over the next winter. Okay, that is maybe a bit overly optimistic, considering that will be after a cross-country move that has not happened yet, the purchase of a home I have not found yet, and securing a construction loan for the greenhouse. But optimism has worked for me in the past, so I think it will all work out. Including the yaupons!!!

To answer your question, my research leads me to believe they will develop rapidly.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@luvinthemountains , I don't think they're supposed to lose their leaves.. good luck

Well it will be an experiment, then. The roots and top have not been disturbed, the soil has been kept reasonably moist, and the nursery is mulched in with straw. So if it dies, then I can pretty comfortably say that they can not survive in Zone 7. If they survive, then maybe call them semi-deciduous!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Update:
Tree is growing aggressively, happy for that, now I want it to get back to the lovely green color that it should be. Put some fertilizer on it since it is growing well now and it seems to be turning back to a nice green color from the previous ugly yellow it was sporting for awhile.
youpon.jpg
backside of tree.
yo.jpg

pale_blue_is

Seedling
Reaction score
Have you tried making tea from the leaves? I hear the dwarf females produce the best flavor.

pale_blue_is

Seedling
Reaction score
Be careful with the tea, the species is named Ilex vomitoria for a reason.
Have you drank it before? From what I understand it's similar in strength and taste to Yerba mate, and the only reason it was classified 'vomitoria' is because it was used in black drink, which induced vomiting from a blend of other (more nauseating) native plants and herbs.

Personally never heard cases of vomiting or a foul taste on the internet, but I've never tried it, and certainly have never tried a native Bush plant. Perhaps it could be pretty foul tasting if rendered down very hard, but so would... pretty much anything, certainly any caffeine containing substance.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never tried it, vomiting is something I usually avoid, LOL.

The sources I've read are uncertain if yaupon was the sole ingredient in Native American black drink, or if there were others. Concentration is questionable too--a very strong tea may have been brewed for cleansing rituals with weaker tea used for other purposes. One of the most interesting articles showed from analysis of pottery residue that yaupon was traded among Native Americans far outside its native range.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Michael P is right!

It’s strength-related....

Same stuff, (predominantly).. but BREWED black... and THICK..

🤓

Top Bottom