Yay, another tool thread (possible sarcasm)

that-guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am a beginner at this and I read other posts but I am still unsure of what tools to get. In your opinion should I get a set or get tools individually? Also what type of metal is best, and where should I get them from? I already know I at least need some concave cutters and I should get Japanese tools. But should I get some other things as well or wait until I need them? (I will need wire cutters) What sou you guys think/recommend? :confused:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
It depends on what type of work you will be doing and what type of trees you will be working on.

The most common tools I use on a reg basis are Wire Pliers(used when wiring and de-wiring, to tighten trees into the pot and guy wire), wire cutters and scissors. If I could do it over again and I might recommend to myself some inexpensive pliers from the hardware store, ARS scissors(should be around $20-30, made in Japan good quality steel used for cutting grapes) or Kaneshin scissors and then a Kaneshin med or large size wire cutter from ebay.

I'd also invest in some wet stones to sharpen my scissors. After this i'd start buying tools as needed. The two brands I have come to mostly buy are Kaneshin off ebay and Masakuni from California Bonsai Studio. You can't really gone wrong with either of these brands with masakuni generally being slightly higher quality and price.

Stainless steel usually does not rust while the black steel does rust, but I believe maintains an edge slightly longer. I usually go with non stainless, althought I might recommend Stainless for repotting tools as they get wet more often than non-stainless. Hope that helped.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I second ARS...it is worth the extra bucks you'll pay for it.

About the cutters, IMHO Joshua Roth offers great value, but also like my Masakuni, Kaneshin, etc. :D

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It depends on what type of work you will be doing and what type of trees you will be working on.

The most common tools I use on a reg basis are Wire Pliers(used when wiring and de-wiring, to tighten trees into the pot and guy wire), wire cutters and scissors. If I could do it over again and I might recommend to myself some inexpensive pliers from the hardware store, ARS scissors(should be around $20-30, made in Japan good quality steel used for cutting grapes) or Kaneshin scissors and then a Kaneshin med or large size wire cutter from ebay.

I'd also invest in some wet stones to sharpen my scissors. After this i'd start buying tools as needed. The two brands I have come to mostly buy are Kaneshin off ebay and Masakuni from California Bonsai Studio. You can't really gone wrong with either of these brands with masakuni generally being slightly higher quality and price.

Stainless steel usually does not rust while the black steel does rust, but I believe maintains an edge slightly longer. I usually go with non stainless, althought I might recommend Stainless for repotting tools as they get wet more often than non-stainless. Hope that helped.
California Bonsai Studio usually has the best price on Masakuni, usually no shipping charges and Travis' service is always top notch.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just ordered another masakuni watering wand from them. Arrived in Texas three days after I hit submit. Great service. With that being said if you are starting out I would go with Joshua Roth tools. Masakuni is on the very high end. The watering wand on the other hand is very affordable and is the highest quality I have ever purchased. They are Crome plated brass. I was not ordering a replacement. I was ordering another one for another area of my garden. I have had the first one I ordered for two years with no issues. I have mine hooked up to a dramm #300 watering valve. You can find on eBay. Those two things combined are watering bliss.

Last edited:

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just ordered another masakuni watering wand from them. The watering wand on the other hand is very affordable and is the highest quality I have ever purchased. They are Crome plated brass. I was not ordering a replacement. I was ordering another one for another area of my garden. I have had the first one I ordered for two years with no issues. I have mine hooked up to a dramm #300 watering valve. You can find on eBay. Those two things combined are watering bliss.

A wise man! Quality pays!

I had one my teacher gave me in 1985! My MOL ruined it a couple rears ago ( along with the shut0ff and 100 ft.Craftsman rubber hose threaded end) while she was watering while I was out of town when to clean the rose she soaked it in a bucket of CLR for a day. It was completely eaten!
Craftsman replaced the hose under the forever warranty. Got a new Masakuni and new all-brass shutoff and it should last until I quit bonsai!Masakuni sprayer 19feet of fine mist.jpg

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A wise man! Quality pays!

I had one my teacher gave me in 1985! My MOL ruined it a couple rears ago ( along with the shut0ff and 100 ft.Craftsman rubber hose threaded end) while she was watering while I was out of town when to clean the rose she soaked it in a bucket of CLR for a day. It was completely eaten!
Craftsman replaced the hose under the forever warranty. Got a new Masakuni and new all-brass shutoff and it should last until I quit bonsai!View attachment 43311
I have well water, and am not sure about a wand. I tried an aluminum one that probably came from Home Depot but there didnt seem to have enough pressure to spray. It just dribbled out. Is there something different about the Masakuni wand that might prove more effective?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I have well water, and am not sure about a wand. I tried an aluminum one that probably came from Home Depot but there didnt seem to have enough pressure to spray. It just dribbled out. Is there something different about the Masakuni wand that might prove more effective?

Lordy, pretty much the same here, started with HD wand that sucked. I then got the M. wand and it's much better, build quality and stream. However, imo, it's still not that good at low pressures. Maybe the trick is to water your plants like Dale's pic above ;) But the only wand I've seen better is a japanese wand a friend got while in Japan. Cheasy looking, but what a fine spray. Never seen one available anywhere.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Chris. I guess I'll just keep using the rain barrel with my watering can and fine rose. But it just gets monotonous with a 1 gallon can. I can keep using fert that I mix in the water too.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As Chris mentioned, you need pressure. You can increase pressure by using a much smaller nozzle head with smaller and less holes.

FYI, I modified a cheap Dramm nozzle by applying crazy glue to half of the holes and it worked very well.

The Mazakuni wand is on my list to purchase. :D I just wish they made longer ones.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Chris. I guess I'll just keep using the rain barrel with my watering can and fine rose. But it just gets monotonous with a 1 gallon can. I can keep using fert that I mix in the water too.

BTW, I use hozon ( http://hozon.com/ ) installed between the hose and the wand to fertilize w/o any problems. The down side, you have to carry an extra container for the concentrate fertilizer mix. I use a gallon sized Gatorade bottle since it has a carrying handle.

Top Bottom