Yellow and brown tip on Montezuma Cypress

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Running into a bit of a concern with two of my Montezuma Cypress. This started about three weeks ago after both trees were leader chopped. Trees were repotted last year and we’re healthy green before the chop this year. Curious as to whether or not it could be a shock response from the chop?
I’ve never had this issue before.
No change in substrate (pumice) and the same watering schedule as always. All other MC doing fine.
Thanks!!!
E324D46F-A062-47F5-B01D-72AC5409E422.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't know Aaron. I only have one Montezuma and it seems a lot less hardy than my bald cypress. When I transplanted it from pot to field two years ago, the leaves turn just like that and it struggled a while to come back. It actually dropped a big branch from that move.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It appears like foliage burning from heat/wind/sun - or from root problems. Since you haven't repotted or done anything with the roots, the only question is has the environment changed in any other way? Did you move the trees to a sunnier location? Have you had unusually hot or dry or windy weather? When you removed the leader, was it providing a lot of shade for interior/lower branches? These are very hardy and usually bullet-proof, so I am surprised you are having problems just from pruning.

Top Bottom