Yellow birch fungus?

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi everyone!

Quick question about my newly aquired yellow birch ( I think its a yellow birch!)

I start to see this kind of dots here and there on the tree.
Im just wondering what it is (my first tought is it look like fungus) and if corrective actions have to be taken.

Thanks alot

20220601_143000.jpg
20220601_140955.jpg
20220601_143026.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scale?

Sorce

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Scale?

Sorce

After reading a little I think you are just right..

I will go read more on threatment but if you have a solution for this stage of scale Im all ears!

Funny as it seems does manual removal with a light brush or similar would work?
There's not much of them so if I can avoid spraying while being able to control the issue that would be even better!

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not with a brush but with a toothpick it's easy. Just squash them a bit. That should take care of them.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I see a few scale I just dab them with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After reading a little I think you are just right..

I will go read more on threatment but if you have a solution for this stage of scale Im all ears!

Funny as it seems does manual removal with a light brush or similar would work?
There's not much of them so if I can avoid spraying while being able to control the issue that would be even better!

Mechanical removal and centipedes in the soil to eat the eggs and crawlers is my go to.

I've found a bit of compost, or just a pile of weeds and such, a little moss, can cultivate centipede populations for use.

There's also a earwig looking predator that's easily cultivated in a good compost pile.

Pics?

Sorce

Reactions: Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Mechanical removal and centipedes in the soil to eat the eggs and crawlers is my go to.

I've found a bit of compost, or just a pile of weeds and such, a little moss, can cultivate centipede populations for use.

There's also a earwig looking predator that's easily cultivated in a good compost pile.

Pics?

Sorce
@Bnana Thanks for thing great tip!

@sorce thanks for the quick and precise identification!
Yes a picture of the centipede would be awesome!
I know where to find what I can call a centipede but my knowledge about insects is unfortunately or fortunately limited!
Im learning the basics as I encounter then!
Worst insect issue Ive had before scale was aphids and ants that were doing no arms to the tree...
(Edit: I forgot to mention that the tree is potted in diamateous earth, which I think some insects doesnt like, if it change anything)

Today I did a clean-up of the bugs and I might continue the cleaning process with a soft toothbrush and alcohol as @penumbra suggest to remove the white residue that remain after crushing the soft scale insects.
Is there any benefits of doing so?

There was not just a few...
Disgusting image following:
20220601_193533.jpg

Thanks again everyone
Ugo

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good job!

This is a valuable time to get intimate with your tree. So much more love and care than spraying it and walking away!

Sometimes I leave the carnage as a message for the others.

I was talking about that other predator bug, but I think I can find a centipede too! They're just fast AF!
Simply putting it on a wilder area of yard can get the problem in the soil nixed.

My neighbors birch died over winter, and it's looming over my 3 sisters garden. Reckon it may take out their power line, or their power line will break off enough of the trunk to keep it out of my yard!
Son of a .....

Sorce

Reactions: Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Good job!

This is a valuable time to get intimate with your tree. So much more love and care than spraying it and walking away!

Sometimes I leave the carnage as a message for the others.

I was talking about that other predator bug, but I think I can find a centipede too! They're just fast AF!
Simply putting it on a wilder area of yard can get the problem in the soil nixed.

My neighbors birch died over winter, and it's looming over my 3 sisters garden. Reckon it may take out their power line, or their power line will break off enough of the trunk to keep it out of my yard!
Son of a .....

Sorce

Thanks

Ok sorry I get it for the other insect..
I think I followed your advises without knowing as Ive put the tree away from the others and placed it under a lilac tree, providing shade in the afternoon so it can recover... surrounded by other bugs ;p
It should do the trick, but I will keep an eye on it as always!

I forgot to add pictures of the tree in itself!
As you mentionned, precious time with the tree.
I bought this tree along with 4 others, as a lot, a couple weeks ago and havent had time to appreciate it.

Sad for your sister tree, and the work it requires to clean everything , I know mature Birch can be a pain....
They're roots can destroy sewage / water pipes, foundations ect.
When you see a Birch planted in a small yard close to the house you can be sure the tree cause or will cause problems.
I guess you wanted to say Son of a Birch..;p

Here's the tree!
20220602_161041.jpg
20220602_161048.jpg
20220602_161140.jpg
20220602_161119.jpg
20220602_161126.jpg
20220602_161158.jpg

Top Bottom