Yellow gelatinous substance: fungus?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I tried searching for yellow fungus or yellow gelatinous substance but did not get any results.I've taken pictures of this yellow stuff that I just noticed today on only one tree a juniper. Assuming it's something fungal but thought I'd ask the gurus!

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_140147716_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200516_140147716_HDR.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200516_140136638_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200516_140136638_HDR.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 52

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Also, will it spread to the others??!! Should I quarantine it?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Check your other junipers and also the leaves of any trees such as apples, quince, crabapples, etc. for leaves with round spots or blotches.

Keep the branches of your junipers dry. It prevents the rust gall from swelling and producing spores. If you are expecting rain, bring the tree under shelter to keep the branches dry. The rust is most prevalent in spring and as the season goes to summer, it will subside due to the drier weather. They can live on the trees a few years.

Id keep it separated from your other trees and treat with fungicide for now but its only a temporary solution.

What type of juniper is this?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Check your other junipers and also the leaves of any trees such as apples, quince, crabapples, etc. for leaves with round spots or blotches.

Keep the branches of your junipers dry. It prevents the rust gall from swelling and producing spores. If you are expecting rain, bring the tree under shelter to keep the branches dry. The rust is most prevalent in spring and as the season goes to summer, it will subside due to the drier weather. They can live on the trees a few years.

Id keep it separated from your other trees and treat with fungicide for now but its only a temporary solution.

What type of juniper is this?
Not sure what type of juniper. Definitely NOT Shimpaku or JGJ.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok so this is an unrelated question. Do you like the Offspring? One of my favorite bands and my kids' first concert!
They‘re ok, not in my playlist or anything. The title evolved from other suggestions, and when it stuck, I went for a silly avatar to go with it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They‘re ok, not in my playlist or anything. The title evolved from other suggestions, and when it stuck, I went for a silly avatar to go with it.

Plus, if you know @Brian Van Fleet in real life, it fits his personality :) (sarcasm)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did it rain last night where you are?

Mine popped out about a week or 2 ago after a storm. Notes....

Remember this date, and don't prune it in spring before this. That way when this comes, you don't have to cut further into your tree after already pruning.

I don't know how it works exactly, but I have been able to keep it off the Hawthorne, Crab and Buckthorn, by not letting the gel pop on the juniper, and cutting rust spotted leaves off the others.

Sorce

Top Bottom