Yellow, Veiny Leaves on Monkey Pod

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Cool well water ...no chlorine👍
Yea,get a cheap ph and also a tds meter just to see what the ppm of your well water is too.

This is the PH, TDS is at 240 ppm

Attachments

• 20200921_085436.jpg
    20200921_085436.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm unclear on how or why chlorine is a negative for plants. It flashes off soon enough and probably doesn't kill too many soil residents. No?

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
I'm unclear on how or why chlorine is a negative for plants. It flashes off soon enough and probably doesn't kill too many soil residents. No?

I'm guessing it might kill the beneficial microbe?

Anyway, decided to start a 0 fertilizer control with this bendy one from the tray (I still have 4 more unused seedlings I haven't culled). These are supposed to 20200921_113223.jpggrow like weed!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is the PH, TDS is at 240 ppm
Yea ph is critical after nutrients are added.....no other reason for deficiency unless the minerals in the water are too big and are clogging the ion channels on the roots....the calcium or magnesium can actually be a junk ‘quality’
I would get a cheap ro filter.....you have to pay water bill?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am larning more and more about biome bacteria and rhizobacteria converting root exudates into amino form fertilizer.....without microbes this does not happen and plants rely totally on normal assimilation and it steals photosynthetic energy whereas root exudate microbe amino form conserves and creates a surplus or higher brix in plant.
In my experiance it has killed every plant I used it on within a year or has severely stunted come the spring budburst.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
On the other hand, those of us in typical city/state water systems do not exhibit poorer plants than those with country water, in fact perhaps just the opposite because we also don't have high iron, calcium, et al. Of course systems vary from town to town, but the standards that have to be met and the processes used are also standardized. That takes me back to the watering habits of individuals. We all agree that plants should have a wet, dry, wet, dry cycle and some of us are more successful attaining that. Some are not and in the same vein, it's not the alcohol takes kills drunks, it's the volume.

We know that soggy soil accumulates sulfur dioxide. It may be that pots that never dry out could accumulate critical assays of chlorine, or iron, or calcium, etc. That's a question about how molecules work and beyond my understanding. What is not beyond my understanding is the fact that the differences I hear of about chemistry problems and plants is with water is that plants can't handle, but that people drink. That doesn't make sense.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Yea ph is critical after nutrients are added.....no other reason for deficiency unless the minerals in the water are too big and are clogging the ion channels on the roots....the calcium or magnesium can actually be a junk ‘quality’
I would get a cheap ro filter.....you have to pay water bill?

So you think the problem is in the water? I know a bit about soil acidity but no clue about the ppm.

If the problem is the water, I might consider the filter for next year. Right now i am in the season where I can reliably depend on rain every other day.

I think I'll also try and get a bit of epsom salt like @Leo in N E Illinois suggested and try it on some specimens for science (again, I have way too many of these seedlings, the pods litter the streets and they germinate so easily).

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Try the Epsom salts first, as they are cheap. The price in USA is less than $5 for a 5 pound (little over 2 kg) bag of Epsom salts, magnesium sulfate. A kilogram or two will last several years for most small or medium size collections of trees. Good in the vegetable garden too.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Try the Epsom salts first, as they are cheap. The price in USA is less than $5 for a 5 pound (little over 2 kg) bag of Epsom salts, magnesium sulfate. A kilogram or two will last several years for most small or medium size collections of trees. Good in the vegetable garden too.
Epsom salt can also be used in foot baths,

... if one is looking for a way to use up a few extra kilos.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score

My bag of magnesium just arrived, about $2 for 1kg. Will start adding it to the fertilizer mixture and hope for the best.

Top Bottom