Yellowed leaves are dropping on my wife's willow leaf Ficus

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We got this cute tree through an estate sale last year. I believe the former owner kept his trees in a greenhouse. We had it inside through the winter and it did just fine, nice and green. We had it in a south facing patio window. Funny thing, the leaves exuded a kind of wax that made a bit of a sticky mess on the floor.

When things warmed up, we placed it outside and that's when things started going south. Over the last couple of months, some leaves yellow, then drop off. It has been consistent, it never gets any better, no new shoots, but it's not a total collapse either. I repotted it in mid-May. We have been told that it loves sun, heat and humidity and we have been able to supply plenty of that. One other thing, we have noticed a black powder (red circle) on some of the leaves. Could this be mold? You can rub it off with a finger. Could this be why the leaves ae yellowing?

We would appreciate any guidance.

PXL_20220701_173807347.jpg

PXL_20220701_113701296.jpg

PXL_20220701_113711546.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THis tree has scale--those round platelets on the twigs and trunk are bugs. They can be squished and they are the source of the "sticky wax" you said the tree exudes.The tree isn't making it. The scale is... It looks like you ARE getting new shoots-those reddish-looking softer leaves at the ends of the branches look like new ficus growth to me, anyway.

That's only a symptom of a larger problem. Insects attack weak trees. The problem, from what I can tell is the soil. It looks like it stays pretty soggy. Roots are probably dead or dying.

This tree is clearly struggling however It Needs an immediate repot (mid-summer is an excellent time to repot ficus). Do some research on how that is done. Get some decent bonsai soil. Strip all the old soil off of the roots on this one and get all of it out of the pot, replace with the free-draining bonsai soil. Put the tree in afternoon shade and don't let it dry out (keep it evenly moist and not soggy)

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
THis tree has scale--those round platelets on the twigs and trunk are bugs. They can be squished and they are the source of the "sticky wax" you said the tree exudes.The tree isn't making it. The scale is... It looks like you ARE getting new shoots-those reddish-looking softer leaves at the ends of the branches look like new ficus growth to me, anyway.

That's only a symptom of a larger problem. Insects attack weak trees. The problem, from what I can tell is the soil. It looks like it stays pretty soggy. Roots are probably dead or dying.

This tree is clearly struggling however It Needs an immediate repot (mid-summer is an excellent time to repot ficus). Do some research on how that is done. Get some decent bonsai soil. Strip all the old soil off of the roots on this one and get all of it out of the pot, replace with the free-draining bonsai soil. Put the tree in afternoon shade and don't let it dry out (keep it evenly moist and not soggy)
Very concise answer, thank you. I have just gotten some Bonsai Jack Inorganic Bonsai Soil Mix, I can use that. So, when I re-pot this tree I should wash and then do basically a bare root job. I did spray all my trees with Terizide for lawns and landscaping about three weeks ago.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very concise answer, thank you. I have just gotten some Bonsai Jack Inorganic Bonsai Soil Mix, I can use that. So, when I re-pot this tree I should wash and then do basically a bare root job. I did spray all my trees with Terizide for lawns and landscaping about three weeks ago.
That spray may have had something to do with the discoloration on the leaves. If you're talking about Triazicide--an insecticide for lawns. Some ficus don't take some insecticides well if it's some other stuff. Some insecticidal soaps also cause bad reactions. FWIW, you can't kill scale with topical insecticide anyway.

Yes, I'd do a bareroot to get all of that old soil off the roots. Use the Bonsai Jack soil, but you can also get some long fibered sphagnum moss and wet it down and lay it on top of the soil after repot. That helps keep the new root mass humid and from drying out quickly--inorganic will tend to dry out quickly, so be prepared.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with rockm on the scale and soil too wet.
Ficus are tropical and don't like to dry out but they don't like to be in soggy soil either

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Okay, so I washed the roots and repotted the Ficus this morning. I had potted it couple of months ago and used a mix heavy in pine bark mulch, which of course held a lot of moisture. It didn't look like the roots had grown much at all since the previous re-potting, but at least I didn't seems to see any dead roots.

I thoroughly rinsed the whole thing, as you can see in the photo, then potted with Bonsai Jack's inorganic soil mix. When that was done I sprayed for bugs it with a 40:1 mixture of water and Dawn dish detergent. I'll keep it in a shady spot for a couple of weeks. I plan on incorporating a systemic insecticide very soon.

Thanks to everyone helping me out with this little tree.

PXL_20220702_131317153.jpg

rootpuma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
you don't need pesticides! use the soapy water.

only replant ficus during summer. after replanting put in the shade for three weeks then move back to full sun. next time you repot cut off the thick roots. you only want the finer ones.

willow leaf ficus are picky and will drop leaves for anything...moving from outside to in...in to out....pests...etc...even though they are picky they bounce back fine if under the right conditions.

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don't use dawn - detergents (a chemical designation that includes most dish "soaps") are phytotoxic - bad for plants. True soaps (again, a chemical designation) are safe. I'm small enough did this may not play out but a soap or insecticidal soap is what you want to go with.

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Don't use dawn - detergents (a chemical designation that includes most dish "soaps") are phytotoxic - bad for plants. True soaps (again, a chemical designation) are safe. I'm small enough did this may not play out but a soap or insecticidal soap is what you want to go with.
Can you recommend a specific brand?

Top Bottom