Yellowin/falling leaves, no black spot? Close pictures, ideas?

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Watering and sun havent changed in the past 10ish months. Slightly less watering lately as it is "winter" here in Florida now. Tons of growth over summer, big wounds were recovering great. Now over the past 3-4 weeks I'm getting this instant death on what seemed to be only new growth. Recently it has started to show on established leaves.

Am I simply not watering enough? Multiple other trees and other plants growing in the same space. Using some home made pesticides as well as some food safe/"natural" products. (No chemicals) No pest issues on anything else so I'm a bit lost. Nothing I have noticed has changed from when this was thriving to this point.

Attachments

• 20190124_204804.jpg
    20190124_204804.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190124_204816.jpg
    20190124_204816.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190124_204848.jpg
    20190124_204848.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190124_204857.jpg
    20190124_204857.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190124_205435.jpg
    20190124_205435.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
My Chinese elms go through cycles with periods when some leaves turn yellow and fall and other periods where it's all green. I always thought of this as natural pattern. It's winter now, so it's normal for it to be shedding some leaves, even in Florida, I suppose.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I thought that at first but its not like the leaves always turn completely yellow and then fall. Like the one I pictured, the majority of the leaf will still be green, transition to yellow and the tips/sides will be completely dead and curling. I have no other elms, so you may very well be right. I couldn't find any information describing what im seeing.... a lot of elm issues seem to be pest related and I can find no traces of any pests.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I thought that at first but its not like the leaves always turn completely yellow and then fall. Like the one I pictured, the majority of the leaf will still be green, transition to yellow and the tips/sides will be completely dead and curling. I have no other elms, so you may very well be right. I couldn't find any information describing what im seeing.... a lot of elm issues seem to be pest related and I can find no traces of any pests.
Check the underside of the affected leaves, many bugs do their deed on the underside of leaves. It might be a fungus or--yes---you may not be watering enough.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The under sides of the leaves are clean Vance. Two of the pictures I posted are of the same leaf, the top and bottom. Nothing comes off of them if I wipe/rub, the tree has been basically washed a few times as well as all of my other plants are clean. I've been freaking out thinking I had an infestation starting but I cant find any traces....of anything. I have always been afraid of watering TOO much but I will bump it up and try that out for a few weeks to see what happens. Thanks

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you were not watering enough wouldn't it impact the whole tree instead of selective leaves? Maybe just a mutation within those leaves. I pick the odds ones off of my elms without any major repercussions. Overall, I think the tree looks healthy.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you were not watering enough wouldn't it impact the whole tree instead of selective leaves? Maybe just a mutation within those leaves. I pick the odds ones off of my elms without any major repercussions. Overall, I think the tree looks healthy.
When you grow stuff indoors you open yourself up to a host of problems, fungal infestation is one of them.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True enough. I did not see where op said they were indoors.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They're on a balcony. Not perfect conditions....but its not inside.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vance Wood is right about fungus and they do not need to be indoor either. I had my summer set up on the east side of my house for shade and I was misting the plants daily and my trees developed fungal issues. I think air flow was part of my problem as well. I am no expert but I just do not see that in your tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@Vance Wood is right about fungus and they do not need to be indoor either. I had my summer set up on the east side of my house for shade and I was misting the plants daily and my trees developed fungal issues. I think air flow was part of my problem as well. I am no expert but I just do not see that in your tree.
I will not argue that point with you, but this is one of the reasons I no longer grow indoor bonsai.

Top Bottom