Yellowing Boug Leaf

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey all,

I've done some searching and I can't find the answer, so I thought I'd pick your guy's brains. One of my bougs has a lot of new growth, but the leaves are yellowing, except for the "veins" in the middle of the leaf, which are green. I'm pretty sure this means there is some sort of deficiency, but what? Acid? Iron? Magnesium? Too much water? (It has rained a lot around here lately.) Thoughts? BTW, no leaf drop at all. It's still growing pretty vigorously.

My fertilization schedule is fertilizer cakes (fish emulsion, bone and cottonseed meal, flour and yeast) every two weeks, liquid seaweed every month, seaweed plus iron every month, and fish emulsion twice per month.

TIA for your thoughts!

Daniel

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Daniel,

Your tree is suffering from iron deficiency. Bougainvillea loves iron.
Bonhe

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Daniel,

Your tree is suffering from iron deficiency. Bougainvillea loves iron.
Bonhe

Thanks, Bonhe. I thought that's what it might be (other plants do this as well), but wanted to check with someone more experienced than myself. I just watered with liquid seaweed plus iron yesterday. Should I water more frequently with this? Or, should I stick to my once per month regimen for iron?

Daniel

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're welcome Daniel. What is iron concentration of seaweed plus iron? I used Ironite which has 6% iron to treat iron deficiency with excellent response. However, you can use whatever fertilizer with high iron concentration.

For your information, I'm using Bougain fertilizer, which has 5% iron, monthly and my bouganvillea having lot of bracts. Bonhe

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You're welcome Daniel. What is iron concentration of seaweed plus iron? I used Ironite which has 6% iron to treat iron deficiency with excellent response. However, you can use whatever fertilizer with high iron concentration.

For your information, I'm using Bougain fertilizer, which has 5% iron, monthly and my bouganvillea having lot of bracts. Bonhe

Looks like 2% iron. I'll check and see if I can find some ironite. I also have some pyracantha that seem to be suffering the same thing (they were when I bought them a few months ago). I've been giving them the organic "cake" fertilizer for a while now and they have responded well, but the definite findings of iron deficiency is showing up.

What was the frequency of use of Ironite? Just curious.

Thanks!

Daniel

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I only applied Ironite one time. After 6 months, if you don't see improment, you can apply another one.

You may check your tap water pH. Possably it's too alkaline, that's why your trees get problem. Bonhe

Top Bottom