Yellowing Juniper

Twobit214

Seed
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am having trouble with my Juniper plant in North Carolina. The foliage is turning yellow. It doesn't seem to be brittle in any way. It appears to be free of disease as far as I can tell, no evidence of mites, or aphids, etc. Just the yellowing.

The plant is small, and in a small pot. The tree pot ratio is near 1:1, and not I am not certain what type of soil it is currently in. My wife bought this from the internet. (I know, I know, not great plan).

It was on my back porch facing south for a couple of weeks when I noticed it starting to turn.
The back porch gets a lot of sun, but less as the day moves on. Afternoon time brings some shade to the area. I was soaking the pot once a day for water. With the 90+ temps we have been having, I thought that was enough time for the plant to dry between watering.

My first thought was that I was over watering. I cut the water schedule to every other day, and moved the plant to a much more shady location on the north side of the house.

Is there anything else that can be done?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I thought that was enough time for the plant to dry between watering.

My first thought was that I was over watering. I cut the water schedule to every other day, and moved the plant to a much more shady location on the north side of the house."

Your hunch was correct. Once a day drenching is probably too much for the soil the plant is probably in. "Mallsai" junipers like those sold at malls (and the Internet) are generally in really REALLY bad soil that retains too much water.

"Is there anything else that can be done? "
You've taken the most important step in realizing what you may be doing wrong. For now, watch the watering (use the "chopstick" method to monitor it now)Keep the plant in the shade. Watch for new green shoots on the limbs and at branch joints on the trunk...keep your fingers crossed. If nothing pops in a month, it's a goner.

A word of caution though, once a juniper shows severe signs of stress, it's usually already dead.

TheBearded

Sapling
Reaction score
I am new to bonsai too but have had great success by using the chopstick method. Get yourself a bamboo chopstick and stick it into the soil use it as a dipstick pull it out once a day and look at it. If the stick is dry water if not dont. I learned my lesson NEVER water to a schedule!

Curtis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2-3
Im sure this has been said over and over but there is no set schedule for watering. I agree with TheBearded, After 4 years, Ive gone to the chopstick method and it works great. If you find that the soil is wet but the top looks dry, then just give it a quick mist. The unfortunate thing about your situation is that the damage is done and your probably going to spend the rest of the year trying to get that thing to recover if it doesn't die. I was at my local nursery and they had these 20 yr old shimpakus that were nice and green, I had told the girl that they weren't going to do well because they had this potted in a peat/potting soil mix and it was drenched. Sure enough, went back 2 weeks later and it was starting to yellow. Im just mentioning this because overwatering is probably your problem. Good luck.

Top Bottom