Yellowing tips?

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey I recently noticed some yellowing on my pine, mostly in the tips. Is this a sign of overwatering/overfeeding? I try my best to limit the water to only when the soil is dry. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7F301FBA-AADB-4FD3-96F4-7C169920E64F.jpeg
    7F301FBA-AADB-4FD3-96F4-7C169920E64F.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 25663A66-6414-4BF5-AA51-5D97979BF5FE.jpeg
    25663A66-6414-4BF5-AA51-5D97979BF5FE.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 57

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A banded pattern in pine needles can be a sign of needlecast. It's a common issue with pines.
You can't treat the already affected areas because the fungus is on the inside. Unless you use systemics, but that doesn't always cure it.
You can cut the needle just below the band, and it'll remove the infection as a whole.

Needlecast expresses itself by yellow bands that later turn brown or orange. Eventually there will be a dot in the middle. That's the fruiting body. Similar to juniper blight.

To prevent it, it's recommended to spray copper sulfate in spring when the foliage develops. Some alternation with peroxide will help too.
Some people use systemics, I don't. I'm against those. I rely on the antibiotics my soil microbiome produces, and they work like a charm.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A banded pattern in pine needles can be a sign of needlecast. It's a common issue with pines.
You can't treat the already affected areas because the fungus is on the inside. Unless you use systemics, but that doesn't always cure it.
You can cut the needle just below the band, and it'll remove the infection as a whole.

Needlecast expresses itself by yellow bands that later turn brown or orange. Eventually there will be a dot in the middle. That's the fruiting body. Similar to juniper blight.

To prevent it, it's recommended to spray copper sulfate in spring when the foliage develops. Some alternation with peroxide will help too.
Some people use systemics, I don't. I'm against those. I rely on the antibiotics my soil microbiome produces, and they work like a charm.
Gotcha, will this affect the overall health of the plant? I want to make sure it’ll still grow vigorously.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Without seeing the entire tree, including the soil surface, we can only guess. The needles I can see appear to be desiccated and the new needles, stunted making me think there is not enough water. How often do you water time wise?

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Without seeing the entire tree, including the soil surface, we can only guess. The needles I can see appear to be desiccated and the new needles, stunted making me think there is not enough water. How often do you water time wise?
I basically only water when the soil is drying out, should I be watering more frequently? I’m just afraid that I’d be overwatering then haha.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I basically only water when the soil is drying out, should I be watering more frequently? I’m just afraid that I’d be overwatering then haha.
Good grief How often are you watering on average??? That's not a hard question. If your soil mix is good and you should just by default fallen into some sort of schedule you can recognize.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Gotcha, will this affect the overall health of the plant? I want to make sure it’ll still grow vigorously.
Overall needlecast doesn't hurt the tree a lot. But it can be problematic when it affects a lot of needles. Every yellow band is photosynthetically inactive. That's why cutting those pieces off doesn't matter on the whole, it just prevents the tree from reinfecting itself.
I don't know if the thread title has been edited.. But there's a thread 'stop neeflecast before it happens' or 'stop needlecast before it happens' on this website and it should provide you with pictures and info.
Because the tips are still green and the yellowing occurs a bit lower than the tip of the needle, I'm putting my money on needlecast.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yer fine. Observe soil moisture and carry on.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Dothostroma (needle cast) is a thing but the symptoms here don't have all the features. I'm far more inclined to agree with @Vance Wood that this is likely to be a water problem. Note that 'a water problem' also includes too much water causing root problems because the end result of root problems is dehydration due to not enough roots left to take up water.
Lets hear about what soil this tree is in, what size pot and how much it is or is not watered please.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Dothostroma (needle cast) is a thing but the symptoms here don't have all the features. I'm far more inclined to agree with @Vance Wood that this is likely to be a water problem. Note that 'a water problem' also includes too much water causing root problems because the end result of root problems is dehydration due to not enough roots left to take up water.
Lets hear about what soil this tree is in, what size pot and how much it is or is not watered please.
Right now its in potting soil in a gallon container as I didn't have anything else at the time :/

To manage watering I stick a chopstick into the soil and check if its still damp, so about every 3 days or so.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right now its in potting soil in a gallon container as I didn't have anything else at the time :/

To manage watering I stick a chopstick into the soil and check if its still damp, so about every 3 days or so.
1. It would be helpful if you would post a picture of the entire tree and container. Much can be deduced from the overall picture.
2. A description of the tree itself, when acquired, what has been done to it since acquired also plays a role in determining what may be the cause!
3. Please fill out your location and climatic zone in your profile, that will assist others to adapt their advice to your particular situation.

Based on what you have presented so far, the amount of information or lack thereof is simply frustrating for those who could be of assistance.

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
1. It would be helpful if you would post a picture of the entire tree and container. Much can be deduced from the overall picture.
2. A description of the tree itself, when acquired, what has been done to it since acquired also plays a role in determining what may be the cause!
3. Please fill out your location and climatic zone in your profile, that will assist others to adapt their advice to your particular situation.

Based on what you have presented so far, the amount of information or lack thereof is simply frustrating for those who could be of assistance.
I apologize, I’m in the tristate area so 6B. I’m not sure of the exact type of pine, but it’s a two-needle pine that was dug up this summer. I have done nothing but repotted it.

Attachments

• 33DF8F0D-F71D-4F46-987D-98010E8F18B5.jpeg
    33DF8F0D-F71D-4F46-987D-98010E8F18B5.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 20
  • A3DAF874-CE72-4BC5-9545-FACB3D42CD59.jpeg
    A3DAF874-CE72-4BC5-9545-FACB3D42CD59.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 329ED8B6-A0A5-46EE-A762-F85ED7C9F8D1.jpeg
    329ED8B6-A0A5-46EE-A762-F85ED7C9F8D1.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 16

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. Very helpful.
What you have is a native seedling that shows some signs of varying moisture on last years needles along with a few yellowing bands that may be needle cast!
I would consider neither to be worthy of direct concern at this point!
Steps you can take involve.
1. take some sharp scissors and cut off the affected brown, yellow parts. This does not treat any fungal issues but reduces the amount of disease present on the plant. It also retains more needles to help grow the seedling.
2. Monitor your watering to ensure that the seedling does not stay too wet. Pines like more well drained soil than you are using!
3. Consider adding some pumice or very coarse sand to the soil mix to help drainage and prevent too much compaction.
Best of luck

BigAbs321

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you. Very helpful.
What you have is a native seedling that shows some signs of varying moisture on last years needles along with a few yellowing bands that may be needle cast!
I would consider neither to be worthy of direct concern at this point!
Steps you can take involve.
1. take some sharp scissors and cut off the affected brown, yellow parts. This does not treat any fungal issues but reduces the amount of disease present on the plant. It also retains more needles to help grow the seedling.
2. Monitor your watering to ensure that the seedling does not stay too wet. Pines like more well drained soil than you are using!
3. Consider adding some pumice or very coarse sand to the soil mix to help drainage and prevent too much compaction.
Best of luck
Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

Top Bottom