Yet another Ficus....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Picked this one up from Meehans yesterday. I mostly got it for the base, which I just love. It's got three main big roots that make it powerful. I'm not interested in the top, so I'll be chopping that away in a week or so, once I see growth.

002.jpg

Not much going on at the back of the base:
003.jpg

But the front is where it's at:
004.jpg
005.jpg

And here's my projected plan for it. That branch on the right isn't currently there, but after the chop I should get one over there somewhere. There is a bud I can resort to, but it's a little lower than what I have shown.
003.JPG

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a nice one Ryan ! You gotta love a Ficus, they are some of the best material out there. My new interest is Bald Cypress, they have many of the same attributes, grow like a weed, can handle a major chop and they can be almost evergreen in the warm climes.

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thats a nice one Ryan ! You gotta love a Ficus, they are some of the best material out there. My new interest is Bald Cypress, they have many of the same attributes, grow like a weed, can handle a major chop and they can be almost evergreen in the warm climes.

ed

Thanks Ed, I like it.

I used to play around with Bald Cypress for all the reasons you list, but I could never keep up with their water needs and lost the battle. Oh well :rolleyes:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So you'll plan on using the top roots, not the lower ones, correct? I like the level of the close up on your chosen front.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So you'll plan on using the top roots, not the lower ones, correct? I like the level of the close up on your chosen front.

Yep. It needs to be buried a little deeper, as the way those roots sit now makes them look a little odd, so I'll slip pot it into something that will let those roots be buried a little deeper in the pot.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
With as much new growth as this one has, expect a chop and slip pot to come this weekend.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Chopped and will be slip-potted tomorrow (need a bigger pot/more time).
008-93.jpg

009-94.jpg

Cutting:
004-114.jpg

005-110.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Slip potted and ready to grow. Pot is a 12" bulb pan (old one was a 10"), so I wasn't really able to sink the tree any lower, though I'm pretty satisfied with how the tree looks right now.

016.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Backbudding all up and down the branches. It's pretty happy. Happy tree, happy me :D

002.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Don't ya love it when that happens :)
This is going to be a sensational little tree Ryan. It will rocket now after the chop. Will follow this little one with great interest.

Thanks! It's actually full of buds down around the trunk, so it's doing pretty well. I too think it'll be a nice little tree, especially once I play around a little with the base.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm surprised by how much the leader has grown in such short time. There are also multiple buds that have popped on the backside of the trunk.

002.JPG
005.JPG
009.JPG
007.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Today:
011.JPG
012.JPG
014.JPG

Quick trim:
015.JPG

I may be just a kid, but I like to believe I know what I'm doing :cool:

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you thought about cutting off the part of that side branch where the growth is reaching upwards? It doesn't seem like there's much reason for it to continue growing, as far as the final design might be, and it's taking energy that could be going to the other branches. I would think about pinching all those new buds off except for one on the right to develop a new pad to balance out the tree.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Have you thought about cutting off the part of that side branch where the growth is reaching upwards? It doesn't seem like there's much reason for it to continue growing, as far as the final design might be, and it's taking energy that could be going to the other branches. I would think about pinching all those new buds off except for one on the right to develop a new pad to balance out the tree.

I have, but I'm really just letting that branch grow untrimmed so that it can thicken and look in proportion to the trunk. It can take all the energy it needs to thicken.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I have, but I'm really just letting that branch grow untrimmed so that it can thicken and look in proportion to the trunk. It can take all the energy it needs to thicken.

Why did you cut the leader? Seems to me that it would be best to let the leader grow unchecked to smooth the transition above the chop. I would also wire the leader or trim it back to a bud that will bring it back vertical to continue the current trunk-line. Also I agree with the previous poster who suggested trimming the upward growth on the first branch on the left. That branch needs to grow at about the same rate/proportion (slightly slower actually) as the new bud you choose on the right, which will end up as your primary (thickest) branch. You may have a different vision for the tree completely, and in that case just ignore me, but those are the thoughts I had when I read through this thread. Thanks.

Ross

Top Bottom