Yet another newbie

null_void

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello from Austin, TX!

I just took a weekend beginner class where we learned the basics of repotting, wiring and pruning. Bonsai is something I've wanted to try for some years now, but having mostly lived in apartments with north-facing balconies, I've not had much luck. During the class we received (and worked on) a juniper and a boxwood, which I think will satisfy my instant-gratification needs for now. Over the holiday I also received a chinese elm, already in a training pot, which I repotted into decent (I hope) soil. We'll see in a week whether or not I've killed it.

However, I know that trunk and root development are really important, and of course you can't really work much on that during a weekend-long class. So I thought I'd try to do a bit on my own. So I have a couple of questions (which yes, have probably been asked a million times before). I'd like to add a little bit of variety to my existing, small collection. At the same time, I know that some trees aren't really suitable for beginners such as myself.

I'd like to try a flowering tree. Azaleas seem to be the common choice. I've also been looking at bougainvillea and japanese flowering apricot (though I get the feeling these might be a little more challenging?)
A nearby nursery is letting people dig up trident maples in about a week - I thought I'd take a look at those.
Another conifer would be nice. I was thinking maybe a cedar.

Any concerns with any of those choices? Any recommendations for trees that I should be looking at instead?

So like I said, I'd like to work on trunk and root development. Assuming that I'm not going to find nursery stock that already has excellent trunk thickness and root spread, it sounds like I'll be growing these out for a couple of years at least. I see a lot of people saying that these should be planted in the ground. Unfortunately, I currently rent a house, so I can't really go digging holes. Hopefully a large pot will work? Or perhaps a wide, flat tray (so I don't go overboard on the depth)? When filling these, should I use the same soil that I'd use for a training pot (coarse, mostly inorganic)? I don't mind spending the money on soil, but it seems like it would require quite a lot of it in order to fill one of those trays so I wanted to make sure it was recommended.

Finally, there's the question of where to get the stock. I'm fortunate enough to live in a place near several nurseries, but I'm hesitant to believe that I'll find the things I'm looking for at a random nursery. So I guess my last question (for now) is, should I just browse nurseries looking for promising material, or is it better to go with something like Evergreen Gardenworks? It seems like that particular online retailer has a pretty good reputation, but it makes me nervous to buy stock sight unseen from the internet. Then again, I might be new enough that I wouldn't know good material if it jumped up and bit me in the face.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or corrections of my above assumptions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome. Regarding the flowering trees you mentioned. Azaleas are more challenging than Bougainvillea, at least in my limited experience. In your climate, they would need some shade. Bougainvillea, Grewia (lavender Star Flower), Barbados Cherry, just to name a few are sun lovers, and pretty hardy. As far as material, there are several dependable sellers here, including @milehigh_7 . If you are looking for something specific, try the "Wanted to Buy" thread, or check out the Vendors thread, so see others experiences with specific vendors. Have fun!!

Last edited:

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to B nut!!!!!!!

You're best source for material out of your options would be your fellow club members!!! Do they have auctions?

Even if they don't ask other members if they have trees they don't want anymore or are selling. You will be surprised what you can come across!!

Also, nurseries are not bad places, just much more work to find a good tree, and much more time in development.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Azaleas are pretty hard, so are cedars. As for apricot, I'm really not sure...

Bouganvillea are much easier, but getting well ramified branching is tough.

Trident maples are more difficult as well.

You want a deep pot for now, shallow pots are harder on the roots.

Ordering from the internet is risky and the plants health is not guaranteed, so go to a garden nursery if you want something to prune. (like me)

If you want a good cheap evergreen, I'd suggest a cotoneaster.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are doing it right, taking a class is excellent. Joining your local club is excellent. Nothing beats being able to see other trees, and watch techniques done in person. 2 D images on computer and in books are not enough. Austin, Tx has an active bonsai scene. You are in a good place.

Azaleas - I recommend that you try them. They are a little tricky, but there is a well developed literature, and computer references and excellent examples to learn from. That they require slightly different schedule for what should be done when is not a big obstacle.

Cotoneaster, good as a flowering and fruiting bonsai. Pyracantha and crab apples are also good.

Crepe myrtle is another flowering tree to consider.

Bougainvillea was mentioned, and mine actually blooms under lights, so they are adaptable.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
For flowering bonsai, I agree with the above. Flowering quince, bougainvillea, and crape myrtle are pretty easy to keep alive and work on.

null_void

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey all, thanks for the advice (and the welcomes). I'll take some of the suggestions and see if I can find a thing or two at a local nursery, and we'll see what happens from there. Looking forward to getting started!

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@null_void So u did the class w Mike and Candy at MPB? I did it last year. It was a solid leap into getting you hands dirty. I recommend joining the Austin Bonsai Society. We meet twice a month... once for a seminar and once for a workshop. We also do a few digs in feb/March which is a great chance to get some solid material. I got hunting at nurseries all around town and have found lots a great material. Whereabouts in Austin do u live?

null_void

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@null_void So u did the class w Mike and Candy at MPB? I did it last year. It was a solid leap into getting you hands dirty. I recommend joining the Austin Bonsai Society. We meet twice a month... once for a seminar and once for a workshop. We also do a few digs in feb/March which is a great chance to get some solid material. I got hunting at nurseries all around town and have found lots a great material. Whereabouts in Austin do u live?
Hey there! Yes, I took their beginner class this year - very nice people and I do feel that I learned a lot. I was actually planning on showing up at the next ABS meeting. I believe it's Feb. 8th, correct?

I actually just moved to Round Rock (up near University Blvd), but I lived in North Austin for the last decade so it's kind of habit to set that as my location. Any particular nurseries that you recommend?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ask fellow clubbers WHEN is best time for any repot! Too many do as soon as getting tree in any season. Beginners mistake. Normally one insult at time: Repot OR wire OR hard prune. Exception "might" be maples. Like weeds with woody stems;).

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@null_void Im up in cedar park... there are a few nurseries that I’ve found material with potential... Red Barn (especially in their 1/2 off section) and sometimes Hill Country Water Gardens. Every place I’ve found that sells actual Bonsai trees though are way way over priced! If your up for a drive one weekend, head out to the Jade Gardens in Whimberly. It’s 1/2 exhibit (which is breathtaking) and 1/2 nursery. Well worth the drive.

null_void

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hah. Funny you should mention Red Barn - I went there this morning. Turns out I used to live right next to it, but never went down Pond Springs road, so didn't know it was there. I saw a cranberry cotoneaster that had a neat trunk, so I picked it up (even though it was in a 3-gallon container). It's a little strange, though - all of their cotoneasters looked like they had two trunks, or as if they divided just under the soil line. I assume that I'll probably have to cut one away? I'd have liked to check the roots a little better, but the soil was fairly compacted and I wasn't sure how tolerant the staff would be of me digging around in it.

I have to be honest, cutting away a significant portion of the trunk is going to make me nervous, but that's how you thicken the base, right? I assume I should leave some foliage alone so it doesn't die?

I also picked up an 1-gallon azalea, but I should have checked the net first. It was an "encore" variety (salmon-ish flowers, not the bright fuchsia variety), and people seem to think it's better to go with other types. That's what I get for buying impulsively. I'll whip up some acidic soil for it (as recommended, thanks), and see what happens. My water is pretty hard, as well, so I'm guessing I'll be going through a lot of vinegar?

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hah. Funny you should mention Red Barn - I went there this morning. Turns out I used to live right next to it, but never went down Pond Springs road, so didn't know it was there. I saw a cranberry cotoneaster that had a neat trunk, so I picked it up (even though it was in a 3-gallon container). It's a little strange, though - all of their cotoneasters looked like they had two trunks, or as if they divided just under the soil line. I assume that I'll probably have to cut one away? I'd have liked to check the roots a little better, but the soil was fairly compacted and I wasn't sure how tolerant the staff would be of me digging around in it.

I have to be honest, cutting away a significant portion of the trunk is going to make me nervous, but that's how you thicken the base, right? I assume I should leave some foliage alone so it doesn't die?

I also picked up an 1-gallon azalea, but I should have checked the net first. It was an "encore" variety (salmon-ish flowers, not the bright fuchsia variety), and people seem to think it's better to go with other types. That's what I get for buying impulsively. I'll whip up some acidic soil for it (as recommended, thanks), and see what happens. My water is pretty hard, as well, so I'm guessing I'll be going through a lot of vinegar?

Good luck with the cotoneaster!

As for the azalea, I'm not so sure.

It's less attractive than satsuki azalea, but less demanding as well.

Show me the flowers and fruit if you get any!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you had a choice, Satsuki azalea or Encore azalea, hands down the Satsuki will respond better to bonsai techniques. But Encore is not bad, if you keep in mind it is not Satsuki. Keep it and practice with it.

null_void

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you had a choice, Satsuki azalea or Encore azalea, hands down the Satsuki will respond better to bonsai techniques. But Encore is not bad, if you keep in mind it is not Satsuki. Keep it and practice with it.
Will do, thanks. If nothing else it'll teach me how to keep an azalea alive (I hope).

Top Bottom