Yet another novice here :-)

JMCollins925

Seedling
Reaction score
Greetings all! So, yes, another novice in search of knowledge here. I recently purchased a Chinese Elm pre-bonsai as a starter ($30.) It was shipped from California to here in Pennsylvania and arrived last week. So in one week it went from all green to a majority of yellow leaves. All of the yellow leaves have dropped away. I think it may be the shock from shipping. I've followed the light/water/feeding instructions closely. Hopefully I haven't killed it in one week.
I have received so much varying advice on the care. Indoor, outdoor, dormancy, watering...all over. It makes my head spin as a newcomer. Some people are genuinely helpful and then some people are condescending with their advice.
I was hoping to have an indoor tree to start with. I cannot put together a whole infrastructure outside just yet and I don't have much of a planting option. Can I get some solid advice or a lead in the right direction? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Elm progression 1 week.jpg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Welcome! I’ve never had a bonsai shipped but there’s all kinds of things to take into account like temperature shifts in shipping, a new climate, the fact that its inside now and not out. It’s quite a bit colder in Pennsylvania I’d have thought, right? It may just think winter has come, albeit a bit late. They’re pretty resilient things though. You may want to think about a grow light or at the very least put it in your brightest window. Long term though, it will be better outside, but right now the shock might be a bit much, considering temperature shift etc.

Hopefully I’ve not muddied the water or given false advice, but I’m sure one of the old hats will put me right if I have. Everyone’s really helpful here so you’re in the right place anyway.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is probably 3 zones in difference between where it came from and were it is now. It is probably experiencing dormancy. You are always going to get varying advice, especially with this type of tree. I would just keep it above freezing but not warm for a few weeks with good lighting and punch up the heat and light in March. Do not water it hardly at all right now, just enough to keep it from going bone dry. If it is wet while dormant I can almost guarantee root rot will ensue.
And not to be nagging on you, but if this is that new to you, you don't have the qualifications to know when someone is being condescending or not. Sometimes, yes, but not always. That is certainly not putting your best foot forward when approaching this site.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chinese elm, a.k.a. Lacebark elm, is temperate climate species hardy to USDA zone 4, which I think (without looking at a map) would include all of Pennsylvania. So the best place for your tree long term will be outside all year round. But if it just arrived from a warm climate and is actively growing, you cannot put it outside if the weather is below freezing right now. Keep it in the house in a cool location with as much light as you can possibly give it. When night time temperatures will not fall below 40, move it outside to a shady location for two weeks, then gradually move it into the sun.

While the tree is in the house and recovering from shipping and change of environment, be carefull about watering. It is easy to over-water in this situation, only water when the surface of the soil is dry down to about 1/2". When it is time to water, water should flow freely out of the drain hole(s). Then let it dry before watering again.

Despite what the seller may have told you, this species is not suitable as an indoor bonsai even during the winter. For that, you want a Ficus microcarpa or Schefflera arbicola. And these tropical species will do better if put outside for the summer, and need very bright light (greenhouse, south-facing window, or artificial lights) when they come indoors.

Good luck!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How much light is it getting? A typical problem people with indoor trees have is not enough light. Most experienced "indoor growers" supplement or exclusively use grow lights. My tropicals move inside for the winter under a grow light. I have kept a chinese elm under lights for one winter but I typically would let them go dormant. So I don't think one winter outdoors will do it in.

If you are thinking indoor tree the common recommendation will be Ficus.

Did you reach out to the seller on how this was shipped. If it spent a week below freezing after being in a CA greenhouse for months that shock is on the shipper not you.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m gonna take a random stab here and guess that your Elm came from eastern leaf?

I’ve been really, really into bonsai now for about two years. My girlfriend bought me a Juniper from eastern leaf for Christmas a couple years ago and I fell in love with bonsai. I bought myself a couple more trees the following January (also from eastern leaf) to get hold of some more material to play with. I lost 3 of the 4 trees I had before spring had sprung. I’m still fairly new, but I attributed it to the trees originating in Southern California and coming to Chicagoland in the dead of winter (a similar climate to you).

Not saying that eastern leaf is a poor vendor, I don’t have the depth of experience that some people have to make sweeping judgements on vendors. What I am saying is that shipping a tree from the comparably temperate climate of California to a climate that has winters going well below freezing, such as ours, might work out poorly in the middle of winter. I bought a couple other trees from eastern leaf in June and they have fared this last winter pretty well. I avoid purchasing trees in winter. I try to do that in spring or early summer, giving them the best chance to adjust to the climate they’ll be in.

If you did buy from eastern leaf, I do believe they have a 30 day guarantee on their trees. I think a lot of vendors have similar guarantees. Regardless of who you purchased it from give them a call and see if they’ll help you out.

I’m sorry this if this is your first experience in bonsai. Don’t let it discourage you. I’ve killed more than a dozen trees since I’ve started with this hobby but I’ve had countless more successes. Learn from this experience! I’ll echo what @Woocash said. This forum is extraordinarily helpful! I’m constantly learning new things from it.

JMCollins925

Seedling
Reaction score
It is probably 3 zones in difference between where it came from and were it is now. It is probably experiencing dormancy. You are always going to get varying advice, especially with this type of tree. I would just keep it above freezing but not warm for a few weeks with good lighting and punch up the heat and light in March. Do not water it hardly at all right now, just enough to keep it from going bone dry. If it is wet while dormant I can almost guarantee root rot will ensue.
And not to be nagging on you, but if this is that new to you, you don't have the qualifications to know when someone is being condescending or not. Sometimes, yes, but not always. That is certainly not putting your best foot forward when approaching this site.
I appreciate any advice you folks can give. And not to belabor the point but I've been around long enough to recognize condescension when I see it. I have no illusions that I know more than anyone on this board or any other. I am a complete novice looking to learn. This is my first post here so I hope you didn't think I was referring to this forum.

JMCollins925

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m gonna take a random stab here and guess that your Elm came from eastern leaf?

I’ve been really, really into bonsai now for about two years. My girlfriend bought me a Juniper from eastern leaf for Christmas a couple years ago and I fell in love with bonsai. I bought myself a couple more trees the following January (also from eastern leaf) to get hold of some more material to play with. I lost 3 of the 4 trees I had before spring had sprung. I’m still fairly new, but I attributed it to the trees originating in Southern California and coming to Chicagoland in the dead of winter (a similar climate to you).

Not saying that eastern leaf is a poor vendor, I don’t have the depth of experience that some people have to make sweeping judgements on vendors. What I am saying is that shipping a tree from the comparably temperate climate of California to a climate that has winters going well below freezing, such as ours, might work out poorly in the middle of winter. I bought a couple other trees from eastern leaf in June and they have fared this last winter pretty well. I avoid purchasing trees in winter. I try to do that in spring or early summer, giving them the best chance to adjust to the climate they’ll be in.

If you did buy from eastern leaf, I do believe they have a 30 day guarantee on their trees. I think a lot of vendors have similar guarantees. Regardless of who you purchased it from give them a call and see if they’ll help you out.

I’m sorry this if this is your first experience in bonsai. Don’t let it discourage you. I’ve killed more than a dozen trees since I’ve started with this hobby but I’ve had countless more successes. Learn from this experience! I’ll echo what @Woocash said. This forum is extraordinarily helpful! I’m constantly learning new things from it.

Thanks for that. I wouldn't feel good about naming the particular retailer. I know nothing about this. This is how I learn. "The greatest teacher, failure is." That's me all over.

JMCollins925

Seedling
Reaction score
How much light is it getting? A typical problem people with indoor trees have is not enough light. Most experienced "indoor growers" supplement or exclusively use grow lights. My tropicals move inside for the winter under a grow light. I have kept a chinese elm under lights for one winter but I typically would let them go dormant. So I don't think one winter outdoors will do it in.

If you are thinking indoor tree the common recommendation will be Ficus.

Did you reach out to the seller on how this was shipped. If it spent a week below freezing after being in a CA greenhouse for months that shock is on the shipper not you.

Right now it sits in a south facing window that receives plenty of sun. I've been exchanging emails with the seller and they are very responsive. I'll keep at it and keep doing my research. Thanks for your help!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

100% agree on everything here. Welcome to site. My chinese elms are outside heeled into my overwintering beds. Think about your overwintering plans for next year as early as possible. Most trees are lost in winter.

Condescension is usually impossible to recognize via text alone. The most knowledgeable on this site have answered this exact same situation hundreds of times so keep that in mind. Its possible that a curt answer is less condescension and more the result of repetition.

Tree has a nice start. Good time to look at the tree without leaves and dwell on possible future work. I would ask your vendor when they last repotted your tree. Also start thinking about getting some more material to practice on. Saplings that shoot up in spring are great to practice watering, repotting, working with roots, etc.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Keep it in a cool location for now while it recovers and as said don’t overwater at this point. Without leaves it will not be taking up much water and you do run the risk of root rot. It may try to put out new leaves or it may wait until later, depends on how much stored energy it has. Once temps moderate this spring move it outside so it can begin to acclimatize then next year you should be able to leave it outside for the winter, although in a protected location or an unheated garage/outbuilding. These are pretty hardy trees and good to learn with.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Definitely looks like it is going to sleep. This is a great time to get a good look at the branching and decide what you want to do design-wise.

JMCollins925

Seedling
Reaction score
I've been told that a Brazilian Rain Tree would make for a good inside bonsai. Any thoughts to that? I appreciate your very helpful responses.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've been told that a Brazilian Rain Tree would make for a good inside bonsai. Any thoughts to that? I appreciate your very helpful responses.
They will drop some leaves, maybe alot, when first brought inside for the winter. Give it plenty of light and don't let it dry out. Then back outside once the nighttime temps are 50 or above.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What Carol said. I will emphasize it needs a Lot of light and don't let it dry out. When they are healthy they are magnificent, but that does require spending the warm seasons outside. Not only will it drop a lot of leaves when brought in, as Carol said, but it will tend to be somewhat untidy and in a constant state of losing and growing new foliage. I would not say don't do it but I would suggest you master a ficus first. There are many great ficus to choose from with different personalities. Check Wigert's Bonsai Nursery.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
With this strange weather we are having this year, your elm tree might be able to go outside in as little as 6 weeks. Use the trees in the landscape near your home as a guide for when it is "safe" to put your trees outside.

When the Norway maples, and red maples (Acer rubrum and Acer x freemontii) have new leaves more than half way open, it is probably safe to put your trees out. Both maples, will flower first, then open leaves. Often we still have night time frosts while these maples are flowering, once you see the leaves opening, you can be pretty sure, no more frosts for the rest of the spring.

Spring could conceivably be 3 or 4 weeks early this year. Since the time is short, just put your elm on a windowsill or near a window and keep it moist until it is safe to go outside.

Brazilian rain tree is an excellent choice for indoor for winter, outdoor in summer bonsai. It does well in under lights set ups.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Check Wigert's Bonsai Nursery.
👍 Wigert's has a lot of great material, and reasonably priced. (Not talking about the specimen plants for sale) They are also really helpful, if you are looking for something specific. Andrea there is awesome.

JMCollins925

Seedling
Reaction score
What Carol said. I will emphasize it needs a Lot of light and don't let it dry out. When they are healthy they are magnificent, but that does require spending the warm seasons outside. Not only will it drop a lot of leaves when brought in, as Carol said, but it will tend to be somewhat untidy and in a constant state of losing and growing new foliage. I would not say don't do it but I would suggest you master a ficus first. There are many great ficus to choose from with different personalities. Check Wigert's Bonsai Nursery.
Awesome. Thanks!

Top Bottom