Yew 2

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I need to step up my fert game....no doubt...
I've been using a 20-20-20 water soluble...the blue stuff.
It's great, but I need to switch it up a bit...

What makes you think switching it up will step up your game?? 20-20-20 is pretty OK fertilizer and I would think you have all the step up you need. There is only one way to go.....down. How will that be better.....in my opinion of course.:)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What makes you think switching it up will step up your game?? 20-20-20 is pretty OK fertilizer and I would think you have all the step up you need. There is only one way to go.....down. How will that be better.....in my opinion of course.:)
Not in reference to the concentration, but in reference to giving the trees more than the same thing all the time...
Nowadays I rotate between strong doses of 20-20-20 one week and Alaksa Fish Emulsion the next, as well as the Acid Loving Plant Fert from MiracleGro thrown in occasionally....

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I am a person that just tries to use the simplest idea that one can. All fertilizer is Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium in various concentrations. But, basicly the same thing. Changing the form of the chemicals does nothing to the plant and only makes the user feel that he's doing beneficial things to the plant. Much like going to a different fast food place every day for lunch. Your body don't give a shit what kind of food or how it tastes, as long as it gets it. Changing up fertilizer just makes you feel better, not the plant. Get something that works, use it religiously and in the correct concentration and your plant will benefit just the same. "Switching it up" just cost money and more time on your part....pick one and use it steady.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am a person that just tries to use the simplest idea that one can. All fertilizer is Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium in various concentrations. But, basicly the same thing. Changing the form of the chemicals does nothing to the plant and only makes the user feel that he's doing beneficial things to the plant. Much like going to a different fast food place every day for lunch. Your body don't give a shit what kind of food or how it tastes, as long as it gets it. Changing up fertilizer just makes you feel better, not the plant. Get something that works, use it religiously and in the correct concentration and your plant will benefit just the same. "Switching it up" just cost money and more time on your part....pick one and use it steady.
You may be correct, not that I care, but I appreciate the input!
As you can see, what I'm doing works quite well...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This one grew very strong this year, 2 full flushes without trimming at all.
I apologise for neglecting to take "before" pics, but it was a bush with foot long extensions, with side shoots off of them.

Update is I cut it back decently, no more wire right now, I want more back budding.
KIMG1237.JPGKIMG1238.JPGKIMG1239.JPG1535892377676-111541383.jpg

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And as far as the ballsy move.... that's the single best lesson I've learned since I began attempting to create bonsai.
It's all about the roots....so the way I see it, especially with this box store material, you have to bare root it and make the major cuts that you need to make, immediately.
It's do or die on that first repotting....either the tree will love it and respond well, or it will die.
No sense in wasting time.
late to seeing this, but no truer words have been said when it comes to that type of material. I waited on a few, and paid the price, I will def. go at the roots if I get a tree from a non-bonsai nursery. That sandy muddy mess is not nice. im amazed sometimes what some trees survive in, but for what we want to do and create, it has to start with roots and soil. Again wisest lesson any new person can learn and sometimes we have to learn ourselves. big fan of Yews myself.
when you cut back, did some of the branches not have needles and then popped buds after cutting? I got a few that need it, but am nervous on how far to cut without needles. gotta learn through experience. Keep'm comin' Bravo!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
late to seeing this, but no truer words have been said when it comes to that type of material. I waited on a few, and paid the price, I will def. go at the roots if I get a tree from a non-bonsai nursery. That sandy muddy mess is not nice. im amazed sometimes what some trees survive in, but for what we want to do and create, it has to start with roots and soil. Again wisest lesson any new person can learn and sometimes we have to learn ourselves. big fan of Yews myself.
when you cut back, did some of the branches not have needles and then popped buds after cutting? I got a few that need it, but am nervous on how far to cut without needles. gotta learn through experience. Keep'm comin' Bravo!
Thanks, yes...some were cut back hard, leaving no foliage, and they popped new buds.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This wire has been on since November '17 and is cutting in a bit. Off it goes....
Also, I'm finally starting to see the back-budding I've been waiting for!!
After I took the wire off, I decided to remove one lower branch, I like it better now, and it's future looks better too.
Need the back-budding to bush out next year, then get to work.
KIMG1608.JPGKIMG1606.JPGKIMG1607.JPGKIMG1605.JPGKIMG1609.JPGKIMG1612.JPGKIMG1613.JPG
KIMG1608.JPGKIMG1606.JPGKIMG1607.JPGKIMG1605.JPGKIMG1609.JPGKIMG1612.JPGKIMG1613.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those wire scars it should grow out of easily enough. I wouldn't worry.
Nice progression.
Yeah I think so too....I'm not worried...
Honestly, with the larger (than 3/8") branches it seems like letting the wire bite hard is the only way to make em stay put.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am surprised to see how litte back-budding you have had those last 2 years. Seems to confirm the "A yew takes 2-3 years to recover from major rootwork" matra. Only this year you get real budding on the old wood, yes?

Yeah I think so too....I'm not worried...
Honestly, with the larger (than 3/8") branches it seems like letting the wire bite hard is the only way to make em stay put.
I have stopped trying and am cutting back to the buds on the inside of the canopy, re-growing the branches. If healthy they build wood fairly fast and you get nice taper and realistic extension of the cut branch in about 2 years.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am surprised to see how litte back-budding you have had those last 2 years. Seems to confirm the "A yew takes 2-3 years to recover from major rootwork" matra. Only this year you get real budding on the old wood, yes?

I have stopped trying and am cutting back to the buds on the inside of the canopy, re-growing the branches. If healthy they build wood fairly fast and you get nice taper and realistic extension of the cut branch in about 2 years.
I'm not too surprised, it's been in relative shady areas...next season will bring a new bench location and way more sunlight for all my trees.
Usually with yews, they will readily backbud on old wood when the sun hits it, I think this tree was too shaded.
I was keeping it more shaded on purpose to see differences....I've read that they like shade and are understory trees.

So I did get a few branches backbudding this year, but I'm hoping that next year in much more sun, the buds will show themselves.... I think, understory tree or not, more sun is better.

However, my other yews also experienced similar root work and had no such issues....in fact major amounts of backbudding on the one....hmmm....makes ya think....

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not too surprised, it's been in relative shady areas...next season will bring a new bench location and way more sunlight for all my trees.
Usually with yews, they will readily backbud on old wood when the sun hits it, I think this tree was too shaded.
I was keeping it more shaded on purpose to see differences....I've read that they like shade and are understory trees.

So I did get a few branches backbudding this year, but I'm hoping that next year in much more sun, the buds will show themselves.... I think, understory tree or not, more sun is better.

However, my other yews also experienced similar root work and had no such issues....in fact major amounts of backbudding on the one....hmmm....makes ya think....

this is true. i repotted a nusery yew in oct of 2017, bare rooted in fact, but the roots weren't reduced much as went from went nursery tub to another. due to limited space it stayed in a shaded area.. when i brought it out into the sun late summer 2018, it put out a new spurt of growth and back budded in some new places

this one
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/taxus-development.35616/

Last edited:
Top Bottom