Yew air layer question.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a previous thread I described making an air layer from a large yew in our landscape. After two growing seasons I separated the air layer, screwed a board to the stump to help stabilize it and put it in a pot with sphagnum moss. I secured the ball of moss with some burlap fabric trying to not damage any roots and packed around that with additional moss. I over wintered the tree in a basement with temps of 50-55 F under some lights. In the past month, the branches produced abundant flowers, which have now fallen off. Perhaps the stress of the air layering pushed the plant to flower, just a guess. There seems to be some buds on the branches and the color of the foliage is a healthy looking green. In fact it looks better than the parent plant that was outside for the winter. See: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/h...from-a-yew-questions.44866/page-3#post-869671

I plan to put the tree outside as soon as the danger of freezing temperatures is past. My question is: would it be better to carefully remove some of the moss and add bonsai soil all around the outside of the whatever roots that are developing? My concern is that overly damp moss might lead to root rot.

Attachments

• yew.jpg
    yew.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 36

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not reading any advice here from the more experienced with yew air layering, I followed my instinct, and removed some of the sphagnum moss. There were some fragile white roots underneath, and I replaced that upper moss with some bonsai soil. My thoughts were a good draining and airy soil may help prevent root rot from too much moisture. Seeing those new roots is encouraging.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The heavy amount of flowering on this tree is over and new buds are starting to grow. I have started to carve the stumps. Otherwise, I think I need to leave the foliage alone for now so that it can push root growth as the weather warms and the tree gets more sun. Here are two views, front and back. I suspect the back side might become the front when the foliage can be worked better to expose the trunk. For now, it needs to just grow and make roots.

Attachments

• IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3174.jpg
    IMG_3174.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom