Yew Air layering

woodworker

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a bunch of large overgrown Yews here on my property that I want to air layer. I don't know when to start, how long it takes or if Yews even air layer well. I read somewhere that it takes them more than one season to air layer properly, but I have no idea if that is the case. Is it OK to leave an air layer in place through the winter?

Hoping a resident Yew expert can help me!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graham Potter did one on video I reckon.

I just uncovered a haphazard one in my Cypress thingy...it took some. Was left over Winter. It was in an ice cream bucket of DE.

Reckon a yew will root well.

Sorce

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hmmmm...I was advised in another thread today to avoid air layering all conifers... 🤪🤔

Eff it, I’m gon air layer all the trees!

I have a big old yew, too that I want to bonsai. Would it be best to wait until spring to start a layer? Is it zone-dependent?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmmm...I was advised in another thread today to avoid air layering all conifers... 🤪🤔

Eff it, I’m gon air layer all the trees!

I have a big old yew, too that I want to bonsai. Would it be best to wait until spring to start a layer? Is it zone-dependent?

I reckon only RockM was against ALayer ...
And The other was only agreeing to the "dig it up" advice.

Go fer it!

With the length of time it will take, start it whenever..start THEM whenever.

There threads on it here....
But...

Use a clear container so you can see the roots when they grow.
If you use moss(don't) chop it thin.
And secure it well by any means necessary.

My since removed Ice cream bucket.
20190607_065209_HDR~2.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmmmm....

A couple thoughts on that Ice cream bucket layer.

The few roots I did get were from the right side in the pic....which is the North side, the "inside" of the bush.

It will definitely have gotten less water, though I'm quite sure it stated saturated.

Being the "short" side, with bucket so close, the trunk there will have been quite warmer, despite being North and Under the tree.

That said.

Don't keep it too wet, achieved by using loose soil....
And keep it warm!

Sorce

woodworker

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK. I'm throwing on an some air layers this week. Thanks for the advice Sorce! Especially about being able to see/check the roots.

I think people hesitate to give advice because they don't want you to "ruin" somebody else's tree if they aren't 100%. But these are big, overgrown yew that need to be chopped back at some point. A failed air layer won't be a big deal. I just didn't want to start it if the timing is wrong.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go explain to my wife why I am putting recycled plastic food containers on all the trees in my yard... Hahaha!!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut it back, and in 2 years dig the remains for bonsai. No need to layer. All problems solved :)

woodworker

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut it back, and in 2 years dig the remains for bonsai. No need to layer. All problems solved :)

I like your advice!! :D There is one large Yew that will get cut back and become Bonsai. The ones I am air layering give us privacy in the front, so they have to stay.

Sadly, we cut down 6 or 7 overgrown Yews and Juniper bushes when we first bought this property. We live on 5 acres, and the previous owner never took care of them (or anything really) and they looked terrible. I wish I knew then that these would have made great Bonsai!! The flipside is that I have dozens of Elm, Mulberry and Crabapple volunteers, big and small, that are now going to become bonsai. So I guess I can't complain too much...

MarkSun

Seed
Reaction score
I have yews (1/2 or 1 gal nursery pots) my dad an I planted summer 1977 along the front edge of our yard (2 sides split by a double wide drivewsy) and the public sidewalk. So sparce planeted spaced out properly.

Fast forward 40+ years... An apple tree we planted behind them and you stuff kept the yes low and stuff underneath they were in bad shape. To te do the used on that side (and see the traffic as we pull out) my son cut that side to about 6". Old peeling bark with reddish underneath all gone ... Waaa

One yes he a single pencil thin live shoot. That one bush i will dig up an save .. And bonsai.

The other side of the driveway they have grown (even with pruning/groomimg) to 8' or more. When we landscape that side pf the yard (square in gromt of the living room picture windows).

Before we do a major cut back or decide to take them our I hoped to of possible make 2 or 3 air layers.

I have see enough YouTube propagation and Bonsai channels to feel confident I can do it.

So this week gonna go to it 2 yes and a 50+ y/o deshojo maple i will try to air layer as well

I've got a bunch of large overgrown Yews here on my property that I want to air layer. I don't know when to start, how long it takes or if Yews even air layer well. I read somewhere that it takes them more than one season to air layer properly, but I have no idea if that is the case. Is it OK to leave an air layer in place through the winter?

Hoping a resident Yew expert can help me!

Top Bottom