Yew are no joke!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So i innocently set out today to build a grow box for my large yew. I got the itch as soon as i was done building it to repot it sooooo that’s exactly what i did. I knew that there were a lot of surface roots and then a large trunk section below that that needed to go.

I took it out of the pot and was pleased to see that it was FULL of roots. I started cutting at the large bottom section of roots. First i started with a small saw....nothing. Went to a medium saw....nothing. Asked the neighbor for a larger “limb” saw.....nothing. Panicked. Went to Home Depot and rented a Gas Chainsaw.....NOTHING!!!!!!!!! I went at it for a good half hour. I finally got it cut with a handsaw, prayer and a good amount of sweat. My Apple Watch dinged alerting my that I had reached my exercise goal for the day. 😂

As soon as i separate the heart shaped root. The wind really picks ups and the clear blue sky turns black and a snow squall roars through. It was dramatic to say the least. I sat there panting, holding the heart in the blowing snow!!

It’s now potted up and in a protected area. Word to the wise, if you are cutting anything thicker than a thumb on a yew, buckle the f$&! Up.

first picture is from collection. Large section circled9CE9731B-8D4D-4E89-B594-F84EEC0AD82E.jpeg68168DEC-334E-478F-9687-9DCF5E88AFD2.jpegBE35FBCA-6528-4204-8526-7E79B8BE6BC4.jpeg559EBD2B-CE24-409E-8F5D-BCD3E9B0CBD8.png8C2B3EBE-56BB-4EA9-BD03-108C02D57451.pngBE34292E-5613-463A-AB7A-3F222559618B.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Technically, they are known for spitting foliage and making you think they will live...

They may be the biggest jokers!

Lol! Be careful!

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yup.....you created quite a mess in your cutting quest. Great to see that you properly protected and shielded your eyes. Those flying chips can do a lot of damage...really fast.

Reaction score
Hahahahahaa, show a picture of your hands. I'll bet they look old. And you need a pair off new sneakers. How familiar to see this.
For yew this a nice saw.
Schermafbeelding 2020-01-17 om 00.57.38.png
Also for other big @ss root trees.

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That wood is crazy hard to cut. Hornbeam is wimpy compared.
I'm trying to carve one now and gonna need heftier tools for it.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's quite a bit of surface roots! Was the Yew kept in a bucket of water while you went to get the big gun? Did you periodically spray the roots to keep them moist when hacking away?

A tarp or old shower curtain would help keep floor clean.

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I second Rubens suggestion. Get yourself a Makita reciprocating saw, I have a battery one I take out with me when I go collecting from gardens. Also works great for cutting back nursery stock.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hahahahahaa, show a picture of your hands. I'll bet they look old. And you need a pair off new sneakers. How familiar to see this.
For yew this a nice saw.
View attachment 279103
Also for other big @ss root trees.
Thank you! I’ll look into it. My hands are all cracked and dry. Haha. I kinda wear it as a badge of honor i guess.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
That's quite a bit of surface roots! Was the Yew kept in a bucket of water while you went to get the big gun? Did you periodically spray the roots to keep them moist when hacking away?

A tarp or old shower curtain would help keep floor clean.
I drapped a wet towel on the roots while i ran out to get the chainsaw

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Your patio looks like a crime scene

Thanks for the heads up, yo. I'm fixin to dig a big yew this spring
I sorta thought the same thing. I thought “this must be what cleaning up a body must be like...”

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a Dewalt 20v cordless reciprocating saw with a 10” landscape blade that cuts both ways. Works fabulous. Also a great tool to shove in the ground with a 12” carbide tipped blade for initial tree removal. One of my best tool investments.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice tree Eddy!

Haha! You can imagine the fun I had collecting this one. I had an hour after work to dig this out. I thought that would b plenty of time. 🙄 Shovel and mitre box hand saw. Nearly 1’ diameter taproot.
had to go beast mode on it.
Yes. Damn good exercise
237E8BF4-5CA8-4E0A-A172-7AD2363C790F.jpegA976FECF-C71D-45FB-81FB-849179B24175.jpegFEFA8FFC-F986-4356-8EFA-4D0437367A6E.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Oh btw. This was last spring, and my first ever go at collecting. You are right. No joke.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Oh btw. This was last spring, and my first ever go at collecting. You are right. No joke.
Haha beast mode is right! For a while there i thought “one of us dies today”. Now when i look at it i have a sense of respect, like a worthy opponent.

you got a nice tree there. The right trunk in the last photo👏🏼 the dig looks similar to mine. My tree was up against a wall like that too

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
to be honest.. Looking at the pictures you might be right, that one of you has dies. I hope I am wrong.
Huh.
Curious as to why u think that.
The loss of major roots? Time of year?
I Respect your experienced opinion, just wondering.

Top Bottom