Yew - First Initial Styling

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Just recently finished the 1st initial structure styling of this Yew. Here's a before and after.
I know it's really basic and needs trimmed and detail wiring but that can wait.
Thinking I should let it recover all next year and do repot in 23. It was a learning experience for sure.
Definitely need to improve wiring and bending skills. Books and videos are great to give the confidence to try but actually doing it taught me the most.
Got a long way to go and alot more to learn but having fun so far!

Attachments

• YewBefore.jpg
    YewBefore.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 84
  • YewAfter.jpg
    YewAfter.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 82

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good. It seems (!) as if you did not wire the small green branches. Do that too, and fan them out in small pads.

You can probably repot in sping, if you rally wanted to. Count on checking the wire late-spring!

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hey thanks for the feedback. I'll have to work on those secondary branches. Yeah would love to repot in spring and get out of the nursery can. Are these like other evergreens that should not cut more than 1/3 of the roots?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before dive into removing possibility of growth suggest to develop much bigger trunk;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bigger trunks dug from ground after realization potted plants for practice.😉

You sure did make something out of nothing here though.

Yew for me though, will always remain on the, "I'll find mine in someone's yard someday", I guess because I've found 2 already, killed em. I fancy @just.wing.it pot yews, think about them everytime lack of other material takes me by the yews at the Depot. Can't do it. Would fully take advantage of the one year return policy, though, I'd pot em straight away so if they die you can just get a refund.🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorce

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Yew for me though, will always remain on the, "I'll find mine in someone's yard someday", I guess because I've found 2 already, killed em. I fancy pot yews, think about them everytime lack of other material takes me by the yews at the Depot. Can't do it. Would fully take advantage of the one year return policy, though, I'd pot em straight away so if they die you can just get a refund.🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorce
Thanks for sharing. Do you know how your other yew attempts died? Curious so I don't end up doing that or a million other ways.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing. Do you know how your other yew attempts died? Curious so I don't end up doing that or a million other ways.

Both were collected with hasty or foolish methods without a lot of top. Better to keep the top I reckon.

Sorce

Top Bottom