Yew from Home Depot

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Progrssion pics are my favorite. Nice work. What species yew is that? The only ones I have seen in box stores have been upright and I had read several posts about how they are impossible to train.

I am not sure of the variety..However, it is not the pencil straight variety. I know the kind you are referring to and those are not that suitable for bonsai.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am not sure of the variety..However, it is not the pencil straight variety. I know the kind you are referring to and those are not that suitable for bonsai.

Rob

You're probably reffering to the Hicksii Yew version of the Cuspadatta. This is the Yew you usually see trimed into a box shape. They make lousy bonsai. The upright Capatata makes a nice bonsai and a good many are made from Densaforma.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You're probably reffering to the Hicksii Yew version of the Cuspadatta. This is the Yew you usually see trimed into a box shape. They make lousy bonsai. The upright Capatata makes a nice bonsai and a good many are made from Densaforma.

Thanks Vance...Good information.;)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Was able to repot into a little shallower pot this time. Couldn't find a new pot that I really liked, so I repotted it into an old pot I had. I think next time, I might consider a round, nicer pot.

Rob

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's not often that I actually covet someone's tree. For obvious reasons, this is one of my favorite trees posted on this site to date. Thank you for sharing. I love yews.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's not often that I actually covet someone's tree. For obvious reasons, this is one of my favorite trees posted on this site to date. Thank you for sharing. I love yews.

Thank you very much berobinson82. Every year for the last 5 years, I would do a rough restyling, so to speak, at the beginning of every season. Then, I would pretty much, let the tree grow out again and practically become a bush. With each season, when I cut back and rewired, the tree definitely presented new options and kept improving. I think this is the first year where I will start to maintain the current style and structure it has. Which means pinching will start playing a big part. Thank you again for your kind words.:D

Rob

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely tree - watch you don't pinch then place your fingers close to your lips (easily done when contemplating the tree!) ... it'll numb them. Taxine, an alkaloid present in the foliage, is responsible. If you have a crazy bonsai eating dog like I have read on here a few times make sure you site it higher up where it can't get at it.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely tree - watch you don't pinch then place your fingers close to your lips (easily done when contemplating the tree!) ... it'll numb them. Taxine, an alkaloid present in the foliage, is responsible. If you have a crazy bonsai eating dog like I have read on here a few times make sure you site it higher up where it can't get at it.

Hi Marie1uk, Yes, I know they are poisonous, so to speak. Which has always lead me to wonder, why they are used so commonly for hedges with animals around. They are good in one sense, but not another. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe yew can make an alternative for dentists novacaine. ;)

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks great rob. I have been seeing a lot of yews lately, seems to be a species I may want to work with one day.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think this little guy is absolutely beautiful. I too would like to investigate the possibilities of a shallower pot and I understand your limitations. What ever you do make sure you are certain of what you want to do. It would be a great shame to lose such a nice little tree in this way.

Top Bottom