Yew gone upside down

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. in the summer of 2011 as I started to really try to get into bonsai I bought something with an interesting rootspread:
taxus0.JPG
It did not have much else going for it:
taxus01.JPG
So a windswept bonsai it became; What else, right, as a bonsai starter enthousiastic..
taxus02.JPG

Forward to 2014, and it had become a cascade instead:
taxus03.jpg

Yesterday it was time for cleaning, trimming, wiring again:
Before :
taxus4.JPG

During:
taxus2.PNG

Now time to let it fill out again, and get the pad in the middle & bottom to form:
taxus.PNG
taxus3.JPG

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love the berries

In this pic the part in the red circle looks rather straight
1567793311339.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just saw this thread linked from Mikes. Looks really good @leatherback
To retain fruits do not pinch out after Spring flowering. Do yew recall ever seeing flowers on it?
Thx! Quite happy with how it is turning out too :)

Sometimes I see flowers. And indeed, when I trim I check where the fruits are forming. Main challenge is that I trim away the flowerbuds in fall I think. To be fair, never really looking into how and where flowers develop on yew.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
two things. 1- I always love to see threads with multiple years of transition, especially when the initial image is of a very immature, basic tree. Your doing great things with it Jelle! 2 - I am surprised you have not sold this tree considering you sell so many!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
two things. 1- I always love to see threads with multiple years of transition, especially when the initial image is of a very immature, basic tree. Your doing great things with it Jelle! 2 - I am surprised you have not sold this tree considering you sell so many!
Well, thank you

haha, selling trees depends on a few things. Me being tired of watering it. The tree not responding as I want to. The species not fitting my ideas. The lack of space.

in this case, it is a small plant, of a species I like, which is still improving & teaching me things. So, I do not see this leaving my garden fast.
Female yew trees are a joy and here quite rare strangely enough. (Probably due to toxicity & attractiveness of the berries to young kids..). I have a range larger yews, all male, which would move before this one will, I suppose. This is one of only 2 female plants I have found, and the other was dug last year, still undecided as to survival chances.

Top Bottom