Yew help

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Help
I was given a 1inch yew stump with a good root ball Aug last year that had been removed from a garden it had been cut off about 4inches above soil level (no leaves or buds on the stump) it was put into a washingup bowl with holes in the bottom and peat sand and grit mix
This year there is no sighn of growth but the stump is still alive eg green when the bark is scratched and red wood underneath any help or advice is most welcome

Baz
England Zone8

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Baz,
I have absolutly no experience with yews, so I can't really offer any advice other that to just keep on waiting and hoping. I've got a couple of oaks that I'm in the same boat with.......

Jay

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was given a 1inch yew stump with a good root ball Aug last year that had been removed from a garden it had been cut off about 4inches above soil level (no leaves or buds on the stump) it was put into a washingup bowl with holes in the bottom and peat sand and grit mix
This year there is no sighn of growth but the stump is still alive eg green when the bark is scratched and red wood underneath

Baz my friend I hate to say it but this yew was trunk chopped at the wrong time of year. I know of one person who has trunk chopped a yew with no foliage left on the trunk, that had it live and survive. He chopped it in that sliver of time between winter and spring. He would check everyday by lifting bark to see if buds were welling up. The day he found the slightest hint of a bump on old wood is when he made his chop. So armed with that info I would say keep the faith, but expect the worse. If the stumps alive there is always a chance.

I would give this tip. It is a bit late for sweating but I would try and sweat this tree to see if it will pop a bud.

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
yew

Hi Bob
Many thanks for the Information I took a look this morning with a magnifier and there is a small white looks like a bud fingers crossed its been 1yr next month since the stump was given to me I know it was the wrong time to chop but it was take it or leave it no loss if it died
We have had a lot of rain here and only 13 degrees Centigrade today some of my Shohin pots have had to be put under cover (to much water )

Barry Allen

Top Bottom