Yew - Initial Styling (Imbedded Photo)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think my biggest concern with that technique (which I am able to do), is that it's greatest value lies in being able to curve inward (which is typically the problem) to add movement, not take it away. The live areas supporting the tree run along the back of that curve for the most part. Stretching it upward might damage it, as the bark is not going to be of that much inclination to stretch. I bares some thinking on though, it think I would have to further increase the deadwood area to account for the areas where the bark will simply tear apart. And then it's a waiting game to get to the point where the branch could support the weight of it's top again... because there is a lot of heartwood in that area, and it would have to be separated to get the movement required.

Interesting conversation though... as it does get others thinking.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

I'm well aware that you know the technique, Vic, probably better than I do! ;) That's why I suggested it. But I'm not pushing the idea, Vic, just suggesting. You might just go exploring with the die grinder around there, cutting through some of the rigid heart wood, which will feel much different to your hands than the mushy sap wood, and after you eliminate some then just see if it frees it up. The amount of movement I'm suggesting is quite small in this case, especially compared to the usual inward sharp bend where the outward facing cambium can really get stretched unless the whole structural integrity is loosened substantially.

Anyway, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, nor to detract from the beauty of the tree as it is now, and the impressive transformative work you put in on it yesterday. It's lovely either way, and I agree with Vance that the trees you've posted in the last few days are really of an impressive quality.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm well aware that you know the technique, Vic, probably better than I do! ;) That's why I suggested it. But I'm not pushing the idea, Vic, just suggesting. You might just go exploring with the die grinder around there, cutting through some of the rigid heart wood, which will feel much different to your hands than the mushy sap wood, and after you eliminate some then just see if it frees it up. The amount of movement I'm suggesting is quite small in this case, especially compared to the usual inward sharp bend where the outward facing cambium can really get stretched unless the whole structural integrity is loosened substantially.

Anyway, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, nor to detract from the beauty of the tree as it is now, and the impressive transformative work you put in on it yesterday. It's lovely either way, and I agree with Vance that the trees you've posted in the last few days are really of an impressive quality.

Will

lol... my friend... I know that you know that I know.. I just wanted to make sure they know that I know...lol

No hornets at all, at least not to my mind... just good conversation... :D I *do* have to get into that deadwood more at the curve... mostly because it's not good enough. But I think I'll go at it with the smaller dremel bit and see if I get any movement when I am satisfied with it. :cool:

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I own entirely too many computers.. and have entirely too many photogrpahs. :p

I finally found the photo of the yew on the day I bought it. Sorry the quality stinks... :rolleyes:

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Attachments

• yew2.jpg
    yew2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 114

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Vic , you're an inspiration in more ways than one. Wish I could keep yews

PeterW

Sapling
Reaction score
This tree will be an absolute stunner in a few short years! Exciting future for you and the tree Miss Vic. It already has the feel of age and majesty.
Peter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sadly no... I lost it a few winter's ago. :( We had a freakishly warm winter that plunged into the teens for about 3 straight days right before spring. I lost two trees that year. This one, and a stewartia... my losses were nothing compared to some... but I still miss this one. Eric lost a very expensive redwood. Daniel, my teacher, lost 19 trees... which still shocks me when I think of it. I still have the skeleton somewhere. I've been on the hunt for another one ever since. I like this species a lot. I've only lost one tree since then... knock on wood. ;) People say I get a little over protective about my trees... I say it's just protecting my loved ones. lol

Thanks for asking though...

Victrinia

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, I was really curious as to how the bend was going. Hope you're able to find another to work with!

Last edited:

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
I've been on the hunt for another one ever since. I like this species a lot. I've only lost one tree since then... knock on wood. ;) People say I get a little over protective about my trees... I say it's just protecting my loved ones. lol

This was a nice tree sorry it died. I want to try this kind of yew next year. They look fun to work with.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
xray... they really are great trees to work with... I haven't found one that works for me yet because there is a tendency around here to make them short and fat... which bores me a bit... I want to have trunk to get some deadwood onto... since yew is AWESOME for that. :)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm also sorry to hear about your loss. Unexpected weather is one of the hardest things about bonsai in my opinion.

You could try and find the yew from Bonsai Today 58's cover...lol... I would take that one anyway!

Do these have a vein system like juniper? The dead wood and live sections look very similar to juniper, to me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I must have missed the updates to this thread and am saddened to hear of the loss of this tree. I must have studied the pictures dozens of times over the years. Very sorry.

Top Bottom