Yew or hemlock?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find that the machine is perhaps less important than the tool you put in it. I have both. I find I prefer the dremel over the makita, as the makita is tricky to operate. A good aggressive bit and taking a little time is more important than a heavy engine.

I find the bonsai nibblers to be great for large volume carving.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I find that the machine is perhaps less important than the tool you put in it. I have both. I find I prefer the dremel over the makita, as the makita is tricky to operate. A good aggressive bit and taking a little time is more important than a heavy engine.

I find the bonsai nibblers to be great for large volume carving.
Thank you 🙏

A dremel and a good quality bit is all I want for Christmas. I think my wife already knows.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You might need to be more specific. Loads of good quality bits that clog up in fresh wood..
How about one of these-

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Spring (05/07/2021) update and question:
The yew was further styled - branches pruned and brought closer to the trunk over late winter and now its budding and sprouting new foliage like crazy. My concern is that the new foliage now seems to have much longer leaves (2-3x long), light green in color and not very attractive compared to the dark green, small foliage. What could be happening? Do I prune off these new foliage to back bud with smaller foliage or let it grow? ThanksC5D1932C-6607-46B2-B590-2432505FB3D2.jpegE92490B1-0569-4EAC-AA39-0AA8C04A3278.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The lighter new growth will turn dark as it hardens off.

"PRUNING New growth needs to be plucked out during the growing season. However to retain fruits, do not pinch out after flowering in Spring. Hard pruning and branch pruning should be carried out in Autumn.
To encourage back-budding, pinch out 2 or 3 year old needles in late-Autumn. This will nearly always result in the stimulation of new buds in Spring at the points where needles were plucked."

From bonsai4me species guide.

Other than this I know very little about their cultivation. I only have one Japanese yew, and the new growth is
this light in colour, but not extra long, at least not yet. Seems frost sensitive after new growth emerges
with the one I have.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The lighter new growth will turn dark as it hardens off.

"PRUNING New growth needs to be plucked out during the growing season. However to retain fruits, do not pinch out after flowering in Spring. Hard pruning and branch pruning should be carried out in Autumn.
To encourage back-budding, pinch out 2 or 3 year old needles in late-Autumn. This will nearly always result in the stimulation of new buds in Spring at the points where needles were plucked."

From bonsai4me species guide.

Other than this I know very little about their cultivation. I only have one Japanese yew, and the new growth is
this light in colour, but not extra long, at least not yet. Seems frost sensitive after new growth emerges
with the one I have.
Thank you for posting this useful information.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
July 5th 2022 update: lots of growth happened since last styling. The overgrown tree was trimmed, wired and styled to get the branches close to the trunk. Here’s before and after.

6E1761BD-E292-4DAA-8064-D41A17BD1FDB.jpeg

7B49B75F-F7A5-4FD3-9BF0-680936A8D1A4.jpeg

34EEA098-9AE7-4D1C-8049-C880A9BFB72F.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Training looks pretty good😊. However whoever "carved" before you got did lousy job. Looks too smooth/unnatural like wind polished sandstone. Needs years of weathering or good redo/removal🤔.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
May 1st, 2023 update: removed the wires. Starting to explode with fresh foliage. Will fertilize well and cut back, wire and set pads in a few weeks.

IMG_0361.jpeg

Top Bottom