Yew or hemlock?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The seller didnt know. I assumed it was either yew or hemlock because I’ve never had either one of the species. I just knew I wanted it.
Well that's unreal. To have such a piece as this and not know.
Could it be black market?
1606021376935.png
Tsuga does not behave like this ^
You have to realize the amount of years and carving put in on this bonsai.
It certainly needs cleaning up, but healthy.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Tsuga does not behave like this ^
You have to realize the amount of years and carving put in on this bonsai.
It certainly needs cleaning up, but healthy.
I don’t think there was several years of work put into this, may be one or two, at max since collection. It leafed out well this year. Yes, certainly needs some clean. I didn’t want to touch it until spring.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I paid cash but who knows, lol.
LOL I meant the seller. Didn’t know it was yamadori.

I don’t think there was several years of work put into this, may be one or two, at max since collection. It leafed out well this year. Yes, certainly needs some clean. I didn’t want to touch it until spring.
Ok, this is why the foliage looks younger than the trunk.
Typically carving of yews requires power tools as it’s so dense a wood, very hard.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Typically carving of yews requires power tools as it’s so dense a wood, very hard.
Thanks! Good to know that Yew wood is hard wood. Im looking forward to doing a limited carving on this one at some point. It’s a schinus molle, California pepper tree. It’s a beast really. Ate the wooden stake growing up!
E1DFCC5D-C6C7-4324-8667-E1E29DF4722E.jpegD264CF84-2B11-4ECD-8F1F-7F6FD19C4764.jpeg

Last edited:

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah. I agree not much work out into this at all! You should probably just sell it to me.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Nice!
I was not putting down the effort or work that went into this at all. Just saying that when I got it, it was still barely a bonsai. Knew it had potential though.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It basically is raw material. Collected, some initial carving and the branches were wired once. Nice starting material but not something someone spent a decade developing.

The wood is very dense. I broke one of my tools on a 1/3 inch dead branch. Proceed carefully if you have good tools.
It is very easy to carve though.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The wood is very dense. I broke one of my tools on a 1/3 inch dead branch. Proceed carefully if you have good tools.
It is very easy to carve though.
Thank you for your pointers. I have an angle grinder for large yamadori and some basic hand-held, wood engraving/carving tools. I’m thinking of getting either a dremel or a makita power tool for doing smaller, delicate carving work. Any suggestions on which one to get?

Top Bottom