Yew point O

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
New progression thread for my work-a-dori Yew project.
I have this tree in a previous thread from last spring: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/anyone-know-what-type-of-tree-this-is.38533/

Growth has been slow on this one. I’ve moved it out front early this summer to get more sun in hopes of jump starting this beast.
If it continues to survive and hopefully thrive, I will have much work to do to the long bare branches, and butchered base.
For now, I found no reason not to clean up some deadwood and wire the main canopy apart -for more light penetration.
Here’s where we are at today.
F7F0D573-68B1-4ACE-9E85-DA9A9DC1309E.jpeg6CD0288A-C408-4B21-B737-84DF9CCE48D1.jpegAF388A07-09C8-4B45-9666-99B3216FFF96.jpegAFA9AB2E-9DB5-4587-B30E-8356D2CECD71.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Well this is year 3 in this wood box for the Yew. Here it is pictured at our new house, temporarily placed on front patty.
I’ve thinned out the top and removed one serious crossing branch.
I had the bare side in full sun all summer but didn’t get that much new growth.
oh well, it seems pretty healthy, just pondering my next job for next spring. AC734E24-7BBA-4D8C-92D0-AD8FF148A4C3.jpeg9CE89917-40BA-4612-82C3-5150CB1969E1.jpeg
Any suggestions or comments on what you would do next would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanx!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be proud of your 3rd year patience!

Impressive.

I would start doodling stuff up.....though I would suck at drawing the great lines of that tree. Maybe just think about it a lot!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there anything that could be done to lessen the base's "pulled out of a hedge" look?

Which is basically asking if you know where the lifeline connections are there, and their importance. Maybe some DW work.

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Is there anything that could be done to lessen the base's "pulled out of a hedge" look?

Which is basically asking if you know where the lifeline connections are there, and their importance. Maybe some DW work.

Sorce
Absolutely! I’ve been pondering carving options. That spot where 4 fused trunks came out is daunting. 3EDEDCA2-4EE5-4219-B4EE-FA5819740B7C.jpeg
i may carve in a little pit at each “eye” and stick glass eyes in there! 4 eyed yew. Wood be creepy as hell.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you seen...
?

I wonder if you couldn't use a modified version.
Channeling out a half inch or so, deep enough to use the live flaps to fold in and make a good connection, to certain them roots live.

Sorce

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-08-28-16-15-49.png
    Capture+_2021-08-28-16-15-49.png
    250.3 KB · Views: 20

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well this is year 3 in this wood box for the Yew. Here it is pictured at our new house, temporarily placed on front patty.
I’ve thinned out the top and removed one serious crossing branch.
I had the bare side in full sun all summer but didn’t get that much new growth.
oh well, it seems pretty healthy, just pondering my next job for next spring. View attachment 394548View attachment 394549
Any suggestions or comments on what you would do next would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanx!
I saw a video where they hitting the bare spot with a saw to puncture the older wood. They were attempting to get the plant to back bud. Maybe an idea to put some growth in the desired areas.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I saw a video where they hitting the bare spot with a saw to puncture the older wood. They were attempting to get the plant to back bud. Maybe an idea to put some growth in the desired areas.
Hmmmmm... so just a small kerf in the bark?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1633310533522.gifeither, good omen, good things soil tree
got that look. spore print?

my mycology identification is not strong

a wild thought that may be odd or way off the mark is this wire scar approach (regarding them badass spider eyes) if opt to not carve..? this wire thing got the wheels turnin… gnarble
well hell, it vanished…
someone here linked this:

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmmmmm... so just a small kerf in the bark?
Yes. They were very aggressive with it too. They said it’s a Chinese technique that works. I would think spring would be the right time.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Winter in Minnesota. Crazy to see the trees, uncovered by snow this time of year.
This one’s gonna take some serious creativity to utilize what’s left of this one.

The dog dug up half the roots last winter, killing off the foliage on major branchesIMG_0352.jpeg

mwh

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Years ago I dug up a bunch of mature yews from a large hedge. They had very little foliage remaining by the time they were cut down to fit in the car. They all back budded on decades old wood and grew strongly. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

I'm no expert, but if you fertilize and let it grow out aggressively, then prune back fairly hard you may induce back budding on old wood closer to the base. It would probably take a few years though. How flexible is the live trunk?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Years ago I dug up a bunch of mature yews from a large hedge. They had very little foliage remaining by the time they were cut down to fit in the car. They all back budded on decades old wood and grew strongly. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

I'm no expert, but if you fertilize and let it grow out aggressively, then prune back fairly hard you may induce back budding on old wood closer to the base. It would probably take a few years though. How flexible is the live trunk?
Thanks for your insight.
This one has had a few disasters, causing many trunks to die off.
The living trunk is about one and three-quarter inches at the base and isn’t flexible until it’s separates into the two upper handlebar branches.

Here are some more pics to Better explain my challenge ahead. IMG_0359.jpegIMG_0358.jpegIMG_0361.jpeg
The main trunk has died off, but I thought about using the Illusion, or making this a type of Tanuki. At this angle, the dead main trunk melts into the live skinnier trunk at rear.

IMG_0362.jpeg
From there, I’ve Thought about a whimsical almost fairytale version of a Ancient tree.IMG_0362.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Been putting in some time in on this one.
Little update on how I’m trying to salvage it.

Some push and pull. Wires, props, etc. IMG_0696.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpeg
moving towards a shape like this. It grew very well last year, so I’m hoping it will fill in, and we can move forward 😀IMG_0696.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would let it grow wild for a bit. GEtting half to a full foot extentions on these branches in a season will tell you it is fully healthy, which is also when pruning back will get you loads of budding everywhere.

Top Bottom