YEW STUMP AND MAYBE BONSAI?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm doing some tree and shrub remodeling around my place and was thinking about replacing this Yew with something a little more colorful and maybe something that flowers. I planted it over 30 years ago. The trunk is 4-5" thick. Not sure of several things here that I want to get advice on before I start:

1) Best time to dig it up
2) Are they picky about being collected and things to do and not to do.
3) Should I leave the foliage that is left on the tree after digging for awhile
4) Do I leave the live branch stubs as part of the design down the road or cut all of them off flush with the trunk after some time
5) I picture this as a stump with no branch stubs, all new branches, a broken top and a carved out place or two in the trunk.

I have done a lot of collecting of yamadori so maybe these are similar to the pines and larch that I have collected. I have removed some lower branching. Maybe I should remove more and let it back bud right there in the ground for awhile? Advice/input appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4518.jpg
    IMG_4518.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4526.jpg
    IMG_4526.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4529.jpg
    IMG_4529.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4530.jpg
    IMG_4530.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 53

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t know how well yews back bud and that may be the limiting factor. Leaving any foliage as it stands wouldnt make for a terribly convincing tree and I also don’t think would produce the back budding you’d need. It looks very healthy though, I imagine due to an extremely robust root system. I would think, that if they back bud, that cutting back to a stump would give you the opportunity to get the budding you need.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks like the “hicks yew” I only know the common name. But I have several and they back bud pretty well. I picked one up with a 5-6 inch nebari from a nursery it probably only had a year more to live in that pot. After repotting it sprouted new growth all over the old base.
I think playing it safe would be to allow for backbudding and then taking more of the large branches off. I would of takin off those first to open the new apex to receive more light. But I like that shape you have. I wish you the best of luck with that! 👍

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That looks like the “hicks yew” I only know the common name. But I have several and they back bud pretty well. I picked one up with a 5-6 inch nebari from a nursery it probably only had a year more to live in that pot. After repotting it sprouted new growth all over the old base.
I think playing it safe would be to allow for backbudding and then taking more of the large branches off. I would of takin off those first to open the new apex to receive more light. But I like that shape you have. I wish you the best of luck with that! 👍
I just did the trimming etc the other day so could still trim off more now if that would be best.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just did the trimming etc the other day so could still trim off more now if that would be best.
Sometime there is trouble with backbudding if there is no longer foliage on the branch but with yew I can’t say for certain. One thing that is obvious is that it is really healthy. So it has resources to generate new growth even though it just spent a lot generating all this springs growth. Hopefully someone with more experience with your project will chime in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I wonder if you just leave it for the season and see if it grows out closer to the trunk lower. And maybe dig it out next spring.
(Its gonna be some work digging and boxing)
Alternatively, you could cut it back harder this year and grow out of the branches while it’s in the ground.
Not sure if this is the best advice, I never had a yew. Hopefully, someone who knows the species can chime in.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I collected one this spring. There's a lot of info here if you search for yew/taxus. Collecting as buds swell is probably best here too. Leave a lot of foliage to help it recover.

Mine:

I don't see anything on collecting, but Tony Tickle does a lot with yew:

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I collected one from my inlaws as they were going to dig it up and ditch it. So far it seems to be hanging in there and it's been really hot here mn the last few weeks. Almost everyday it's been in the 90's. Just try to keep as much of the root ball as possible. But if you can wait until spring.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I collected one from my inlaws as they were going to dig it up and ditch it. So far it seems to be hanging in there and it's been really hot here mn the last few weeks. Almost everyday it's been in the 90's. Just try to keep as much of the root ball as possible. But if you can wait until spring.
Yes, I have pruned back just a little more and will wait till next spring. Hoping it will start back-budding this summer.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seems to me that a healthy yew trunk chopped would backbud really well if done in spring.

I think @leatherback has been working with yews for quite awhile now. Maybe he can confirm or alter this advice?

cheers
DSD sends

john blanch

Yamadori
Reaction score
If it's anything like the yews I have, the roots are quite fleshy. Meaning that mostly the fibrous roots are 2 to 3 mm thick. Tender to low freezing temperatures. They take a few root prunes before the roots start to be recognisably fibrous. I suggest taking a large root ball when you dig it and develop the canopy well ahead of potting it into a bonsai pot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems to me that a healthy yew trunk chopped would backbud really well if done in spring.

I think @leatherback has been working with yews for quite awhile now. Maybe he can confirm or alter this advice?

cheers
DSD sends
healthy yews backbud like manic. However, a cutback and dig a year later could be an issue.

I do not have a great track record collecting big yews myself. Hit or miss kinda uncertainty..

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems to be different information circling around as to when the best time to cut back a Yew hard to get lower buds.

I've seen some say fall is best, others say spring.
What have those with more experience with yews think is best?

john blanch

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you're unsure, cut it to a stump in early spring and see if you can begin its style. If it buds and shoots where you want it to. Then if it is worth potting, dig it up with a large root ball in a following early spring, as new buds begin to unfurl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom