Yew (taxus baccata) in the ground "garden-dori"

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
hello, this yew was growing in my garden, and it had a good nebari so i decided to transform it into a Bonsai.
If 2005 04 26 001.jpg
If 2005 04 26 002.jpg

I collected it in 2005 ->
If 2005 04 26 006.jpg

A year after, i replanted it in the ground, to make it get bigger in the trunk.
In 2014 it didn't grow very much, as you can see (9 years after collecting) because of a lack of care. The weak point was the lack of movement & tapper in the trunk, so i decided to make jins and a shari on a side of the trunk (to make it more interesting) ->
if 2014 01 15 001.JPG
And a ten jin ->
If 2014 01 16 001.JPG

By chance, a slight movement of the trunk is appearing, because the live vein developps and makes a curve (2016) ->
If 2016 10 26 004.JPG

In 2017 i replanted it in another garden, in Britany, with better soil and with the hope it will grow & thicken much more ->
If 2017 10 26 001.JPG

1 year later, the tree is happy in its new location : as you can see, the foliage is more thick and plump. The base is still growing and enlarging ->
If 2018 09 12 001face.JPG

In 2019, it grows ->
If 2019 10 17 002.JPG

The seaside weather gives the shari and deadwood a better patina ->
If 2019 10 17 003.JPG

Last edited:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yew can grow some massive roots, so be sure to put a shovel in the ground around this to keep the roots compact.
Great looking trunk. Best of all, you don't have to water it every day!
CW

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Yew can grow some massive roots, so be sure to put a shovel in the ground around this to keep the roots compact.
Great looking trunk. Best of all, you don't have to water it every day!
CW
I cut the only root that was growing down when i put it in the ground 3 years ago.. Not 100% sure, but I think that the main roots remaining are the big lateral roots you can see on the nebari. I'll let it grow for more years like this because my priority is to let the trunk get thicker. The nebari is already nice imo. I don't think it will become ugly ? hope not.. But yes, in a few years, i'll cut around the rootball.

My father water it a few times during summer when i ask him.. but the rest of the time, it grows with no particular care. Brittany's weather is temperate, rainy and with good sunlight (between the showers). The soil is very rich too. So the trees here grow very fast in comparison with the original place in Normandy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom