Yew

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool tree man. I killed the only yew I've tried. It was one of my first trees and I haven't tried another.

I might rethink the pot shape you are considering though. The tree doesn't look masculine enough for a rectangle with hard corners. I think it would look nice in an oval or round pot. But there's always the possibility I'm talking out of my ass too.
No no, you're right about the pot....I was originally thinking round drum style...
Then I thought maybe the canopy will be a little big for that....so I started thinking rectangle...but oval!....I think you're on to something there!
And thanks!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is the pot already full of roots JWI?
If not i would wait with repotting it looks pretty happy in its "mostly turface" soil!

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good. I just picked up my first couple yew's myself a couple weeks ago and have been playing around with them. I'm finding I really like the looks of yews. Branches seem a lot easier to work with than some other species as well which is nice.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looking good. I just picked up my first couple yew's myself a couple weeks ago and have been playing around with them. I'm finding I really like the looks of yews. Branches seem a lot easier to work with than some other species as well which is nice.
Yeah I agree!
Flexy!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is the problem with glazed pots kept in an outdoor environment. Thew freeze thaw environment is not kind to them. Small cracks appear in the glazed surface, water works its way into the cracks, the water freezes and starts to split apart the crack each time it freezes and thaws. Eventually the crack becomes a split and pot starts to fall appart.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is the problem with glazed pots kept in an outdoor environment. Thew freeze thaw environment is not kind to them. Small cracks appear in the glazed surface, water works its way into the cracks, the water freezes and starts to split apart the crack each time it freezes and thaws. Eventually the crack becomes a split and pot starts to fall appart.
Not to mention, this is NOT a bonsai pot...its a container from a florist shop arrangement, which I drilled drainage holes in...the walls are thin and the material is like plaster or something else that is not fired clay.
But yes, the glaze is chipping off and taking chunks with it...

Top Bottom