Yixing Zisha Pots from "Bonsai Supplies" on Amazon

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has anyone purchased any of these pots off Amazon?:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G2P2CCU/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1WDT14V0LFPMV&colid=ETFLJ39HBXYC

If so, what has your experience been? Are they any good?
I have never purchased an actual ceramic bonsai pot before, and I don't want to start out shelling $100 for a dud. I'm having a hard time finding any selection in rectangular pots in this size (18" wide). Most online sellers I've found top out at about 12".

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
@clevetromba, welcome to the secret magic price point multiplier code word "bonsai." A powerful shibboleth, it can turn ordinary wire into something meted out by the gram. Hand tools heaped in the bargain bins by the doorway at any big box store become rarified commodities eagerly ferreted out by those afflicted with the dreaded disease 'bonsaiphilofiliac fever.' Odd thing is, most of the merchandise originates from the same locale, perhaps, even, from the same batch of scrap metal as that of the astoundingly sought after surgical instruments basking in the warm glow of the anointed! Hard to believe, I know... What's the difference you ask? "Well, these are for bonsai." First a sharp intake of breath, almost imperceptible- then a hush falls across the room as the gravity of the moment is realized. Oh...BONSAI. The afflicted reel as dollar signs roll past their eyes like cherries and bells on a one-armed bandit. They feel their wallets tighten. Hoping no one else notices, budgets are instantaneously worked and reworked, old beefs with the wife and kids are reviewed, sorted, reindexed and weighed against frivolous expenditures such as mortgage, insurance, and food. They wonder if Shady Acres will mind if they skip a payment, Mom just might need a wake-up call, to let her know where she stands if she decides to try that tone of voice with you again during her monthly call. That, my friend, is the power of the modifier 'bonsai.' It can transform mere scraps of vegetation into 'awesome shohin' on planet Ebay. Its power knows no bounds. Wait... what was the question again? Oh right right, right...large ceramic pots are a bit more difficult to find, and equally as difficult to afford. Chinese industry cranks out goods faster than you can say "What respiratory consequences?" The descriptor 'antiqued finish' is as troubling as 'bonsai' is inflating. Still, you may discover that, all-in-all, it ain't a bad deal, even with the secret magic price point multiplier code word cha-chinged in. And, then there's that Amazon thing... so many screeds, so little effect.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have never bought via Amazon, but I HAVE purchased Yizing pots before, and they can be of pretty good quality. Understand that the pot you linked is a relatively BIG pot - 17.5" x 13.5". In my opinion $100 for a pot that size, in decent condition, delivered, is a great deal. For a Japanese pot, same dimensions, I would not be surprised to hear $300 - and a show quality pot that size could easily run $800.

Dana

Seedling
Reaction score
@clevetromba, welcome to the secret magic price point multiplier code word "bonsai." A powerful shibboleth, it can turn ordinary wire into something meted out by the gram. Hand tools heaped in the bargain bins by the doorway at any big box store become rarified commodities eagerly ferreted out by those afflicted with the dreaded disease 'bonsaiphilofiliac fever.' Odd thing is, most of the merchandise originates from the same locale, perhaps, even, from the same batch of scrap metal as that of the astoundingly sought after surgical instruments basking in the warm glow of the anointed! Hard to believe, I know... What's the difference you ask? "Well, these are for bonsai." First a sharp intake of breath, almost imperceptible- then a hush falls across the room as the gravity of the moment is realized. Oh...BONSAI. The afflicted reel as dollar signs roll past their eyes like cherries and bells on a one-armed bandit. They feel their wallets tighten. Hoping no one else notices, budgets are instantaneously worked and reworked, old beefs with the wife and kids are reviewed, sorted, reindexed and weighed against frivolous expenditures such as mortgage, insurance, and food. They wonder if Shady Acres will mind if they skip a payment, Mom just might need a wake-up call, to let her know where she stands if she decides to try that tone of voice with you again during her monthly call. That, my friend, is the power of the modifier 'bonsai.' It can transform mere scraps of vegetation into 'awesome shohin' on planet Ebay. Its power knows no bounds. Wait... what was the question again? Oh right right, right...large ceramic pots are a bit more difficult to find, and equally as difficult to afford. Chinese industry cranks out goods faster than you can say "What respiratory consequences?" The descriptor 'antiqued finish' is as troubling as 'bonsai' is inflating. Still, you may discover that, all-in-all, it ain't a bad deal, even with the secret magic price point multiplier code word cha-chinged in. And, then there's that Amazon thing... so many screeds, so little effect.
Am so glad to read this. I have seen some videos on Bonsai making from less affluent countries where people have used simple things from around the house or designed their own tools and their work is as good as anyone with a garage load of 'bonsai equipment'.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am so glad to read this. I have seen some videos on Bonsai making from less affluent countries where people have used simple things from around the house or designed their own tools and their work is as good as anyone with a garage load of 'bonsai equipment'.
I only have one real good named pot.
The majority of my pots are hiding.
They stand up to the cold too.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Have heard vague unsubstantiated claims regarding the difficulty and expense of packing and shipping relatively large, relatively fragile items from manufacture to wholesale to retail etc. While I believe Pachycaul is on to something (and can write a fair whack as well!) you will also notice out-sized prices on ceramic pots at garden centers.

All that being that, I've never seen a yixing pot that was not of better than decent quality, and agree with the Nut that a pot of that size for that price qualifies as a complete steal.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I used to have many yixing pots, not from this seller but from an ebay seller. Yixing Zisha pots are well made and heavy. They are totally frost proof, and do not crumble apart in a few years. The price on that pot as large as it is, is a very good price, large pots are pretty expensive to come by. I think it's a pretty great deal.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are also crummy Yixing pots.

I've had a few over the years that have crumbled, popped off outer glazes after a few years.

I've had higher end Yixing pots over five years or so begin to show stains from fertilizer creeping THROUGH the pot walls, not around drainage holes. It's happening with the big pot my live oak is in. The residue on its sides look like scratches but its mineral deposit. That can be a problem if you're showing the tree, or just fussy about that kind of thing.

Also, I've noticed over the years that the outer surface of many "unglazed" Yixing pots can actually be a clay slip overcoat of darker or lighter clay over the pot main clay body--the process is called engobe--not a bad thing really, but with some of the pots I've had, it's been a problem. Chips from the pot being moved or otherwise dinged, can stick out like a sore thumb. Especially true of the feet, which can be chipped in simply shifting the pot on a rougher surface.

None of this is true with quality Japanese pots.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hear what ya'll are saying. I agree that the net price even with the outrageous shipping cost, is not too bad. IF... the pot is of decent quality. I won't need it until next Spring of course, so I'll wait for more replies to come in, and if anyone has alternate sources of large pots, please share! Why is it so hard to find large pots anyway? And why are there whole websites devoted to pots smaller than 6"?! Are that many people really into Shohin?

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

So so true! Very funny, and sad.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I hear what ya'll are saying. I agree that the net price even with the outrageous shipping cost, is not too bad. IF... the pot is of decent quality. I won't need it until next Spring of course, so I'll wait for more replies to come in, and if anyone has alternate sources of large pots, please share! Why is it so hard to find large pots anyway? And why are there whole websites devoted to pots smaller than 6"?! Are that many people really into Shohin?
I love shohin, and I'll have more small bonsai than large ones.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The size limits are in direct proportion to shipping costs from China or other overseas points of origin. Once over about "16 or so, things can get dicey importing large pots. That size means they're more vulnerable to being smashed in transit and are riskier to sell. Pots over 16" are also less in demand. There's less risk, more demand and more money in smaller pots.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The size limits are in direct proportion to shipping costs from China or other overseas points of origin. Once over about "16 or so, things can get dicey importing large pots. That size means they're more vulnerable to being smashed in transit and are riskier to sell. Pots over 16" are also less in demand. There's less risk, more demand and more money in smaller pots.

The retailer with the largest selection of pots in Southern California, House of Bonsai, brings them in by the container. Because of the fixed cost per container, the cost per pot isn't that high. She recently brought in two containers of pots from a Chinese potter who was going out of business - apparently he couldn't get anyone in his family to continue the business after he retired. You can fit a lot of bonsai pots in a shipping container!

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This isn't anywhere close to outrageous. When you get the pot, and see how heavy it is, you'll most likely agree. Good Yixing pots are very heavy, and large ones are expensive to ship.
ok, ok, don't jump on me. I was just wondering if anyone had ordered from that seller and if the pots are good quality. Like I said, I don't mind spending the money if they are good quality.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Here are some large Yixing pots from Bonsai vision. http://www.bonsaivision.com/category-s/1875.htm These are top drawer pots. If it were me I'd look for one on ebay already in the US. Also poke around FB auctions. More pots flying around from FB than anywhere else.
Oops...I hadn't looked at the amazon link. No question...I'd go with one of them.

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Real Yi Xig costs ------------ period.

The clay for Yi Xing used to be from natural deposits that were left to mature in ponds.

At around 1180 to 1200 deg,C, the clay becomes vitreous.
In the greenware stage, a buffalo horn is used to burnish the wares as it is built.

For standard shapes the Chinese use an inner mould to alter the exterior shape..

The body often has a % of chosen coloured grog to enhance the --- skin ---- effect that occurs
around vitrification time.

Today a clay / feldspar / other blend can be used, as the real stuff is used for collectors.

So if your pot is bleeding fertiliser or flaking off an engobe, ask Yi Xing if it is theirs.

A few centuries ago Chinese potters went over to Japan to start Tokoname.

AND to blow the horn -------------- Trinidad has clays that naturally mature at 1160 to 1200 deg.C
Guess what we make -----------:):D:eek::rolleyes: ------------ we call it Yix Shing :confused::D

It's good to be part Chinese.:p
Gooday to All.
Anthony

* Word to the wise -

We used to buy pots on Ebay and Amazon since 1998 and those present shipping prices are seriously
hiked ------------- must be importing directly from China.

Pot sizes were always above 12 inches in length and around 3 inches in depth.

One recently supplier was Cali-Bonsai ------- shipping increased greatly.
Now to see if Re-Orient does the same.

Please don't be a victim, you are not purchasing Antiques or Fine Wares, just stuff.

Look at the market for Tea Pots

Top Bottom