Yosemite in Autumn

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Beautiful place, I want to go back. Last summer the wife and I went with a tour and had only a day there. No where near enough time. Next time we will drive. One of the most beautiful places on earth. Hope we haven't sold it to the UN.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
200mm telephoto lens on El Capitan found this tent camp on the face of the monolith. Of course the red circle is where they are. Still got a long way to go and storms there every day till Wednesday. I would not want to be hanging on the side of that face in a rain storm.

49.JPG 50.JPG 51.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. Didn't know you camp on the side of a cliff like that.
Where is the dump station?? No thanks...
Great Pix and thanks for sharing. We were south of there in November seeing General Sherman and more. Amazing country.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Gorgeous pictures. I haven't had the chance to hike or visit any high mountains recently. There's really nothing like being out there. The cool crisp air..a breathtaking view for as far as you can see, some clouds to soften the harshness of the sun--it feels great. Life keeps getting busier and busier and problems inevitably arise time from time. Walking through a place like Yosemite, if only temporary, gives you some peace. For the same reason I love bonsai. Seeing my trees grow and change with each season, it's nice. Thanks for sharing.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Gorgeous pictures. I haven't had the chance to hike or visit any high mountains recently. There's really nothing like being out there. The cool crisp air..a breathtaking view for as far as you can see, some clouds to soften the harshness of the sun--it feels great. Life keeps getting busier and busier and problems inevitably arise time from time. Walking through a place like Yosemite, if only temporary, gives you some peace. For the same reason I love bonsai. Seeing my trees grow and change with each season, it's nice. Thanks for sharing.
You're so close to Yosimite you are going to hate yourself if you don't go while you are still young enough to enjoy he altitudes and the beautiful hiking trails.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
You're so close to Yosimite you are going to hate yourself if you don't go while you are still young enough to enjoy he altitudes and the beautiful hiking trails.
I agree. I've been able to enjoy the sierras and local high mountains in the past because of my time as a boy scout. I never really appreciated the time and effort it took to map and plan out those trips.

Right now I'm applying jobs/internships for the upcoming summer. Some of which will cover housing expenses. If I get accepted I might be able to live in the PNW or the bay area for a few months--it would be a great opportunity to access some of the great scenery and mountains of California.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do it anyway. I live in Michigan and I suspect I and my wife have seen more of the Western United States than most who live out there. We have even been to Alaska. We have a couple of more places we want to visit that we may do next year. We drive most of these trips. If we had to do tours there is no way we could afford to go. Driving is not so hard as long as you don't try to chew off more mileage than you can handle, and you kind of plan places to see on the way. If you do it this way you will be able to spend the time in the places you want to spend time and you will have opportunity to see places along the way others may never see. Places like Bear Tooth Mountains , bet few of you have heard of, or City of rocks. These places are gorgeous and little known. Start with the biggies like Yosemite, Yellow Stone, and the Grand Canyon. There are a lot of things to see on the way to these places and if you do it right a lot of things to see on the way back.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Pack it in, pack it out.....
So much easier to pack it in. Not as easy to pack out once it's out, (of the body), but I won't go into any further detail except to add when I was doing my hiking and climbing decades ago, thankfully it was correct to simply cover it with dirt, or snow at higher elevations. Never camped on a rock wall but can only wonder at what may have been yelled in yesteryear rather than the warning "rock" to those below, maybe it was something like "soft rock".

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful pictures Smoke, thanks for sharing.

I am on a mission to see some of the National Parks in California in the next year and may have a chance in a month if I can swing it while I am out there for work. Can you recommend which park is a must see within a reasonable distance of LA if I can only choose one?

Top Bottom