• Roshi

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
you are kidding right??? who do you think the Japanese stole bonsai from??
I was getting ready to say the same thing! It's one of the most uninformed statements I've read in a long while. At least look up the definition of bonsai before learning it.

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You're way better off not buying a set. Buy individual tools. I'd suggest a good shears, a branch cutter and a wire cutter. Other stuff can be added as you go along.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I completely agree. I've met Cullen and his wife and they are both very genuine people that want to live up to their company name. Their working on it but it isn't easy to source American made products that are both affordable and well made.
How do you know that? I just bought 2 tool from AB and so far they seem like excellent tools.
Because the owner has said so. Nothing against Cullen or his company just my experience with chinese tools.I really like all the nonedged tools I've seen from them. The quality of Chinese tools has improved and I'll give them credit for that but it still is no where near the quality of decent Japanese made tools. I've been using Yoshiaki stainless tools day in and day out for over 15 years and have yet to have an issue except once when a broke the point on a scissor by dropping it on a concrete floor. They get sharpened maybe twice a year. Chinese tools don't hold their sharpness nearly as well and the steel is not as good. For a hobbyist they may be fine but not for me.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Because the owner has said so. Nothing against Cullen or his company just my experience with chinese tools.I really like all the nonedged tools I've seen from them. The quality of Chinese tools has improved and I'll give them credit for that but it still is no where near the quality of decent Japanese made tools. I've been using Yoshiaki stainless tools day in and day out for over 15 years and have yet to have an issue except once when a broke the point on a scissor by dropping it on a concrete floor. They get sharpened maybe twice a year. Chinese tools don't hold their sharpness nearly as well and the steel is not as good. For a hobbyist they may be fine but not for me.
The American Bonsai Company concept is a great idea but Cullen is never going to get passed the stigma associated with Chinese made tools. I believe once he finds an American source it will be a game changer. I certainly will buy some tools from him when that happens.

This whole conversation reminds me of a similar situation I ran into about ten years ago. I used to buy certain business shirts for work. Nothing fancy just white shirts with long sleeves and a button down collar. They were made in the USA. Then one day I ordered the same shirts from the same retailer and noticed they seemed a bit different when I received them. Low and behold, they were made in the middle east. When I called the retailer they said their shirts were no longer made in the USA so I said "well, I won't be buying shirts from you anymore then." Problem was, I couldn't find any retailer that was selling shirts that were made in the USA but still around $75.00 a shirt. We (Americans) have priced ourselves out of so many businesses and we wonder why. It's shameful but there's not much we can do about it except maybe elect Trump. :rolleyes:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The American Bonsai Company concept is a great idea but Cullen is never going to get passed the stigma associated with Chinese made tools. I believe once he finds an American source it will be a game changer. I certainly will buy some tools from him when that happens.

This whole conversation reminds me of a similar situation I ran into about ten years ago. I used to buy certain business shirts for work. Nothing fancy just white shirts with long sleeves and a button down collar. They were made in the USA. Then one day I ordered the same shirts from the same retailer and noticed they seemed a bit different when I received them. Low and behold, they were made in the middle east. When I called the retailer they said their shirts were no longer made in the USA so I said "well, I won't be buying shirts from you anymore then." Problem was, I couldn't find any retailer that was selling shirts that were made in the USA but still around $75.00 a shirt. We (Americans) have priced ourselves out of so many businesses and we wonder why. It's shameful but there's not much we can do about it except maybe elect Trump. :rolleyes:

If you want cheap American products, start by cutting the cost of living then cut everyone's wages so companies can charge less (yeah that'll happen....:cool:)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gub'ment bailed on the "working American" a long time ago. Basically taking away a huge part of the economy (manufacturing) and selling it off to whomever had land for a factory overseas. Cost of living would naturally begin to level off with salaries. As more people would be working and paying into the system. More money for your community, services, etc...

But honestly, a guy on the floor, making product, is value added, he eventually produces a return on your investment.
Executives and CEO's.......straight overhead.

Yet the guy in the corner office get's more in a year than the guy on the floor makes in four?
Don't talk to me about your education.....leadership......vision......blah, blah, blah....economics is not that complicated if you remove the bullshit doublespeak and, dare I say it, a caste system.

Rich Whitey has almost got us right where he wants us...fighting each other, rippin' each other off, shoot, the police have never been portrayed in such a poor light since the 60's....law and order will soon be out the window, if it's not already!!

Rant done. Have a great day!!!:p

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The gub'ment bailed on the "working American" a long time ago. Basically taking away a huge part of the economy (manufacturing) and selling it off to whomever had land for a factory overseas. Cost of living would naturally begin to level off with salaries. As more people would be working and paying into the system. More money for your community, services, etc...

But honestly, a guy on the floor, making product, is value added, he eventually produces a return on your investment.
Executives and CEO's.......straight overhead.

Yet the guy in the corner office get's more in a year than the guy on the floor makes in four?
Don't talk to me about your education.....leadership......vision......blah, blah, blah....economics is not that complicated if you remove the bullshit doublespeak and, dare I say it, a caste system.

Rich Whitey has almost got us right where he wants us...fighting each other, rippin' each other off, shoot, the police have never been portrayed in such a poor light since the 60's....law and order will soon be out the window, if it's not already!!

Rant done. Have a great day!!!:p
As Americans, we have enabled ourselves into believing that higher wages would somehow equate to having more money and a better life. Many of us are to narrow minded to see or even understand the "Big Picture" and seem to be more concerned about how much money someone else is making instead of just trying to look after ourselves and our family. If something doesn't change soon, we may find ourselves learning a new language.

Reply to rant is over. I think we’re on the same page? :D

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to mention the "keeping up with the Jones'..."but didn't. I agree.
Mainly, my problem is with "overseas manufacturing". Anything that takes jobs out of the country shreds the economy. There is plenty of "unskilled personnel"....if you consider machinists and that sort of ilk to be "unskilled" I realize as well, that maybe there are "not so smart" types too....take that job away? You end up someone who needs financial help just to stay afloat. Get people off the dole and into a job that they can exist, maybe even prosper, at.

Changing sheets and bussing tables ain't cuttin' it!! A honest days work with an honest days pay...usually produces......an honest man?!?! Heaven(oopps) forbid!

The rich stay rich and even get richer. Remove some glaring tax loopholes, get some money and jobs out to the people and start rebuilding trust and community.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was going to mention the "keeping up with the Jones'..."but didn't. I agree.
Mainly, my problem is with "overseas manufacturing". Anything that takes jobs out of the country shreds the economy. There is plenty of "unskilled personnel"....if you consider machinists and that sort of ilk to be "unskilled" I realize as well, that maybe there are "not so smart" types too....take that job away? You end up someone who needs financial help just to stay afloat. Get people off the dole and into a job that they can exist, maybe even prosper, at.

Changing sheets and bussing tables ain't cuttin' it!! A honest days work with an honest days pay...usually produces......an honest man?!?! Heaven(oopps) forbid!

The rich stay rich and even get richer. Remove some glaring tax loopholes, get some money and jobs out to the people and start rebuilding trust and community.
BTW I believe in a Flat Tax System. No refunds, no credits and no earned income; just a plain old Tax Rate.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW I believe in a Flat Tax System. No refunds, no credits and no earned income; just a plain old Tax Rate.

Flat tax rates shift the burden of taxes from the wealthy to the middle class. Is that what you want ?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Flat tax rates shift the burden of taxes from the wealthy to the middle class. Is that what you want ?
Come on Dave, you must surly know I wouldn't want that. I've read arguments that are both for and against it but I personally think it could work. We've hijacked this thread long enough so let's all go out and buy something made in the USA! :)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you want cheap American products, start by cutting the cost of living then cut everyone's wages so companies can charge less (yeah that'll happen....:cool:)
Wait.. So, to "fix American Production" we should turn America into a third world country? That is a solution?

$75 a shirt!? What the Hell is your business man!?! I would NEVER pay $75 for one shirt... I can buy a whole three piece suit for that at the outlets! Crazy the differences people have in what they consider affordable I guess. Sounds to me like I need to come work with you Vin!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wait.. So, to "fix American Production" we should turn America into a third world country? That is a solution?

$75 a shirt!? What the Hell is your business man!?! I would NEVER pay $75 for one shirt... I can buy a whole three piece suit for that at the outlets! Crazy the differences people have in what they consider affordable I guess. Sounds to me like I need to come work with you Vin!
It doesn't matter if they were $40, you can't buy an affordable well made American business shirt anymore. The company buys me 6 shirts a year or I wouldn't be wearing them. I'm cheap as a two dollar hooker.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
you are kidding right??? who do you think the Japanese stole bonsai from??
I was getting ready to say the same thing! It's one of the most uninformed statements I've read in a long while. At least look up the definition of bonsai before learning it.
Actually I'm not wrong if you know what your talking about. Hmm let me see bonsai means planting in a pot. Bon meaning tray and sai meaning plant. Yes it came from penjing. The Chinese art form. And if you pay attention they are difference. So maybe you should go back and relearn what you think you know.

Also I trust Japanese tools over Chinese sorry.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
Also to the hijacking. I'm only 30 but I work with people that are older then me and are worthless. They look at me like I'm an asshole. We do the same work for the same company under the same person I make double what they make. The true problem with America is Americans that are lazy. How about the one sitting around pointing the fingers saying look at this guy in his fancy shirt and car wish I was him. Well you have all the opertonitys to become that man, get off your ass and work. Politicians are corrupt and always will be because no one will stick together and elect a working man into office.

Rant to everyone's ranting over.

Reactions: Vin

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
That's right! I get up at 5:00a.m. to lay around all day
If I'm lazy you're a moron. I'm 52 and I'll run you into the ground.
I never said all. The worst is the youngest. Imo. Any rather then lazy maybe I should have said poor work ethics.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never said all. The worst is the youngest. Imo.
I just took a little offense first thing. I'm good now.
The problem is that the younger people,not all but a good portion have been coddled too much. Participation awards,everybody is a winner,don't ride your bike without a helmet kind of crap.
Every now and then we get a good one where I work. Tree trimmers are brutes. We swear and yell and call you names. And that's on a good day. The ones that can take it we turn into brutes. The ones that can't go home. We don't do lazy here.
Back to the tools.

Top Bottom