Yoshino Cherry Cuttings?

Reaction score
Anybody have experience propagating Yoshino Cherry by cutting? Any advice on the when & what (1 yr hard wood, 3 mo green shoots, etc)

Your help appreciated!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some cherries strike quite easily, others not so much. Use current seasons growth just after the greenwood stage. Short cuttings (3-4 nodes - 2 - 3 leaves) and place under mist with bottom heat. Cut leaves in half if they are large. The younger the mother tree the better. If you don't have mist, try covering the potted cuttings with a plastic bag supported by wire hoops and place in semi-shade. Use rooting hormone for semi-hardwood. Use sand/perlite/peat 30/50/20

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use current seasons growth just after the greenwood stage
Can you elaborate on the "after the greenwood" some plz Mike. Can cuttings only be done once in spring, or maybe now in summer after the current greenwood had hardened some...?
I've tried striking cuttings from a very old plum tree this spring, but to no avail. Is it worth while giving it a go again now?
Maybe its better to graft it next spring....?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the "after the greenwood" some plz Mike. Can cuttings only be done once in spring, or maybe now in summer after the current greenwood had hardened some...?
I've tried striking cuttings from a very old plum tree this spring, but to no avail. Is it worth while giving it a go again now?
Yes summer is the time not spring. When the new growth has extended to 10 or 20 leaves or so. Actually it can still be green but is quite firm not floppy. Very old trees are difficult to strike. It's probably easier to sow the seeds of the tree and graft onto those in a year or 2. I do that all the time with crabs, apricots etc. For example, malus toringoides https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ved=0ahUKEwjwwML2iYfSAhXMwbwKHXrNBHwQ_AUIBigB,..... comes true from seed but they take years to start flowering, so I gather the fruit from the tree, sow the seed and graft onto the seedlings for a quicker flowering plant.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@MichaelS . Great news. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Mike ;)
Do I plant the seeds as is, or crack them some?

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

According to Dirr Age of the mother plant is an issue. Another issue is the location on the mother. Closer to the ground will have a better chance than higher up.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MichaelS . Great news. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Mike ;)
Do I plant the seeds as is, or crack them some?
They need 3 months cold moist stratification. I used barely damp vermiculite in a jar with holes in the lid, in a plastic bag in the fridge. No need to crack.

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A little off topic here, but has anyone been able to reduce the leaf size throughout the years?

Top Bottom