You be the Judge

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For page 2.
IMG_2292 (2)1 copy.jpgIMG_2293 (2)1 copy.jpgIMG_2295 (2)1 copy.jpgIMG_2297 (2)1 copy.jpgIMG_2298 (2)1 copy.jpgIMG_2299 (2)1 copy.jpg

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
4, 5, 1. Lack of space is a problem for almost all of them I think, obviously due to the constraints of the show.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
2,5,4 but what do I know....
I love #3, but the simplicity of these other ones puts them ahead. It's just uncomfortable with all those elements.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2 - Love the orange...
4 - Agree with @sorce , cheated with the light hitting the apex, but still...

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I judged solely on the tree. With such beautiful trees the background art seemed like putting ketsup on prime rib.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
#1 doesn't work for me at all because the bonsai stand is easily 50% larger than it should be. It dominates the display and takes up half of the tatami. I think the bonsai is underpotted, and having an underpotted tree sitting on a massive stand throws off the entire composition. It is also my least favorite scroll because of the literal, simplistic theme. I think the display would have benefited from having a scroll with a vertical image instead of a square, static one.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Viewed at eye level 3, 6, then 2. Impossible from the pictures but I can imagine it that way.

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL playing with virts :) I flipped the scroll. The reality is the bonsai (in the original display) should be on the left side of the scroll. But because the tree leans left, the artist placed it to right of the scroll. So I flipped the scroll image to make it work.

virt2.jpg

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no...there is no more. I did not agree with the judging and so wanted to see how the forum felt about it. I feel relieved that I am not crazy.

Politics does not belong in judged events as well as having a professional judge that knows much more than the competitors. In many ways judging can also be subjective, but that is why judging uses a score sheet and at least three judges to average out the scores.

Top Bottom