You Guys Ever Regret Not Buying a Tree?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'm still acquiring a collection and I have lots of opportunities to buy...Lots of bonsai nurseries in my area. One has a lot of serissas and he's grown and shown them for 30 years. He has large ones for only 35.00 in the pre-bonsai tree area. I chose one.

In the finished bonsai area he had a serissa for sale for 200.00. At the time I didn't fully appreciate the difference between the pre-bonsai serissa and the finished one. I didn't buy the finished one but the next day I wished I had.

The next time we were at this nursery (we're taking workshops there) that finished serissa had been sold. I wish I'd bought it.

I don't miss buying all the ones that tempt me though...Am determined to only buy trees that 'speak to me' and not ones just because they're nice and available. It's just as hard to work on trees I don't love as it is to work on trees I really have a feeling for so I'm determined not to buy just to buy. So I'm okay with the one that got away. I don't think it will happen again. I know exactly what I'm looking for at this point and know that eventually I'll find what I'd like to own.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm still acquiring a collection and I have lots of opportunities to buy...Lots of bonsai nurseries in my area. One has a lot of serissas and he's grown and shown them for 30 years. He has large ones for only 35.00 in the pre-bonsai tree area. I chose one.

In the finished bonsai area he had a serissa for sale for 200.00. At the time I didn't fully appreciate the difference between the pre-bonsai serissa and the finished one. I didn't buy the finished one but the next day I wished I had.

The next time we were at this nursery (we're taking workshops there) that finished serissa had been sold. I wish I'd bought it.

I don't miss buying all the ones that tempt me though...Am determined to only buy trees that 'speak to me' and not ones just because they're nice and available. It's just as hard to work on trees I don't love as it is to work on trees I really have a feeling for so I'm determined not to buy just to buy. So I'm okay with the one that got away. I don't think it will happen again. I know exactly what I'm looking for at this point and know that eventually I'll find what I'd like to own.
A very seasoned reply to a sticky question.

Haroldjr

Sapling
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't even be here but honestly, I never had any sense of hostility in this thread at all ...............
until this final posting.
There are those of us who are an acquired taste, but having read and re-read the post you reacted to, I honestly did not notice any hostility at all.
I don't think any hostility was intended friend.
Maybe I read it too hard or misread it. I am sorry if I did. I took that comment about the 1k trees all over the yard as wrong it looks like. You know how you are when in a bad mood. You take things different. Thanks for the nice comment about my tree. I am rather proud of it. The way I'll buy a tree is to jump on it WHEN I HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF EXTRA MONEY. Considering what I get out of them is just enjoyment and no monetary value they are worth very little. Enjoyment dont pay Bill's. No I dont sell them. They aren't that good but they are young. I do enjoy a challenge and they are a different challenge aren't they. Gotta go but I am sorry about the misunderstanding and please accept my apology.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Considering what I get out of them is just enjoyment and no monetary value they are worth very little
Its not a contest friend. We have what we have and do what we do with what we have.
It really is about the journey much more than it is the destination.
Glad to have you here.

Haroldjr

Sapling
Reaction score
Its not a contest friend. We have what we have and do what we do with what we have.
It really is about the journey much more than it is the destination.
Glad to have you here.
Thank you and I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Really you guys are a swell bunch of enthusiasts and I hope I have not worn out my welcome. I hope to learn from you all about bonsai and friendship.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you and I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Really you guys are a swell bunch of enthusiasts and I hope I have not worn out my welcome. I hope to learn from you all about bonsai and friendship.
You are so welcome to be here.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine was a huge tupelo for sale by Guy Guidry. Monster base, crazy tapered formal upright, asking price was $1200 which at the time(20 years ago) seemed astronomical to me.

Top Bottom