You Guys Ever Regret Not Buying a Tree?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I came across a hawthorn I fell in LOVE with. Honestly I've never fallen in love with a tree for sale as much as I have with this one. I was hesitant on pulling the trigger for a couple reasons. Firstly, I personally do not own a hawthorn and so wasn't sure how they'd do in Texas heat, but I know other people down in this zone grow them well. And secondly, I'm still newer and this was easily 4x's more expensive than anything else I had bought up to this point.

Anyway, I decided to hold off and told myself if I could sell a guitar item locally I'll use that money for the tree. Well the hawthorn sold today. :(
I'm sure to a lot of y'all it might look like an okay tree, but I think between the movement and the lichen I was in love with it.

Anybody else have similar stories?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-224510~2.png
    Screenshot_20210714-224510~2.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 174

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, twice. Once was a japanese beech forest and I just didn't have the money easily available and it was gone when I went to get it a week later. Seller wouldn't hold it. The second was a white pine and I was not confident I could keep it alive since I have not had one before and Atlanta is borderline climate wise. Flip side I sold a Korean Hornbeam forest that would just really big in my limited space and I regretted it almost immediately.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I saw a really cool high bush blueberry this spring at a nursery. It had a barky meandering slim trunk up to about 4'. It would have made an incredible literati with great fall color and small leaves. I didn't buy it because I thought I was just being bonsai obsessed (it happens every spring). Now that I look back it really was incredible material that I passed up, it wasn't just in my head. D'oh!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am curious as to whether anyone doesn't regret buying a tree from time to time. I have regrets occasionally but I seem to get over it quickly enough.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What @penumbra said. I have had many many regrets about lots of things that I chose not to purchase, but I move on pretty quickly. I also leave many purchase decisions to "fate." As in, "If it's still there in a week I'll get it." And if it's not still available I'm OK with that.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No regrets yet but I'm brand new and haven't even been to any expo's or anything so the only trees I've seen for sale are nursery stock and generic ficus and money trees in garden centers :p

I like to think that I'm immune to regret in that sense because personally I really don't like the idea of buying an established tree just to own it. I like this hobby because I get to create 'from nothing' or from a blank canvas so to speak. I don't really wanna play babysitter for a tree that somebody else created.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really? If that is true, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, that's pretty awesome.
Are you a Buddhist. ;) o_O:cool::):D🤣
I think it's mostly because:
  • If the tree was out of my budget, I wasn't tempted by it.
  • If the tree was in my budget and I was tempted by it, the tree went home with me. 😉
So, basically, if you give in to your desires then you won't have regrets later? 🤷‍♂️ Not sure if that agrees with Buddhist teachings 🤔

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I usually don't have regrets in this hobby, I try and treat everything as a learning experience. Ultimately, I was just looking for a more refined tree to enjoy while all my other trees, which are all 15+ year projects, continue to get worked on.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes, but then I've also gotten trees on auctions at a price I wasn't ever expecting to get. So I guess it all evens out.

Haroldjr

Sapling
Reaction score
I came across a hawthorn I fell in LOVE with. Honestly I've never fallen in love with a tree for sale as much as I have with this one. I was hesitant on pulling the trigger for a couple reasons. Firstly, I personally do not own a hawthorn and so wasn't sure how they'd do in Texas heat, but I know other people down in this zone grow them well. And secondly, I'm still newer and this was easily 4x's more expensive than anything else I had bought up to this point.

Anyway, I decided to hold off and told myself if I could sell a guitar item locally I'll use that money for the tree. Well the hawthorn sold today. :(
I'm sure to a lot of y'all it might look like an okay tree, but I think between the movement and the lichen I was in love with it.

Anybody else have similar stories?
I have always pulled the trigger on a tree that evokes such a strong response no matter the circumstances. There are very special trees which are irreplaceable. Not many but a rare few. If you have the bug like I do, you just have to sometimes. It is in our nature isn't it? Maybe it wasnt the one because you didnt buy it. Sounds like you have it bad like me. Good luck.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You made good decision. Never regret not buying thorns;).

Top Bottom