You have a chance to compact and high-fire anything you want, what do you choose/why?

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
So, I speak with the vice-president of a chemical company who sells substrate to a lot of hydroponics companies, farmers & different companies of that nature, and they have been sending me samples of different hydroponics substrates to see if I could use them in my soil. We talk often trying to figure out cheap substrates I can use for my soil.

Today they offered me an opportunity to choose a substrate which they will compact under high pressure (and high temperature if I want), inasmuch I first thought of a humus and peat combo, to perhaps play a similar role to Akadama. But thinking about it more, I wondered if there is not a better choice of humate substance that would be more suited to compact to make a soil component.

So I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this- If you could choose a particle to pressurize and compact for use in bonsai soil, what would you choose and why?

Please help me on this, I'm very excited about this and want to make a good informed decision, I was also thinking worm castings or something like that, but that would spike the price until I started making it for myself, so I'm kind of at the end of my own ideas. I invite any open minded conversation on this topic, not just the questions I asked...

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pack and bake

Sand: because under heat and pressure it may form something akin to low grade quartzite but in pebbles the right size without the aching arm to go with using it.

Top Bottom