You Spin Me Right Round, Baby...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
My continuing journey of hacks to make your bonsai life easier. First a little music to set the mood, how about a little Dead or Alive?

Oh, you can thank me later for the ear-worm.

If you have been into bonsai for any length of time, you know that a turn-table is very useful when styling a tree. I have had several, but they never seem to hold up and I wanted one that could stay outside all of the time, without ruining. So, I came up with this:

DSC05353-1.jpg

Here it is broken down:

DSC05356-1.jpg

I have a friend who owns an industrial construction company and I got two stainless steel threaded flanges from their used parts pile and a couple of stainless nipples from Lowe's. You just have to pick two nipples that will slide into each other. I think mine are 2 inch and 1 3/4 inch, then choose your flanges accordingly.

DSC05357.JPG

I took it a couple of steps further, after I mounted it to the bench, I marked it and used a hole saw to cut a hole in the bench top for the top's nipple to pass through. Now I can install a longer piece of pipe to add a raise/lower feature to it. I then drilled a hole through the bases nipple and welded a nut to it. Added the same size bolt as the nut, and now I can lock the top into position.

DSC05358-1.jpg

The top is just marine treated plywood. I can put the heaviest tree that I have on there and it handles it with no problems. The pipe has just enough friction to keep the top from rotating while you are using it, but not too much to make it hard to turn.

Here are some more photos of how I put it together in case you are interested in building your own.

DSC05354-1.jpg

DSC05355-1.jpg

DSC05359-1.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great idea my friend! I think I should be building this when I get some dad's down time. Thanks for sharing!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love it !!! It's awesome to see others ideas of solving problems. I do a lot of gadget building for the little one, though not enough for me!

"turntables, two nipples that slide into each other, long pipes"

Sounds like the raves I used to go to :p:p:p

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Love it !!! It's awesome to see others ideas of solving problems. I do a lot of gadget building for the little one, though not enough for me!

"turntables, two nipples that slide into each other, long pipes"

Sounds like the raves I used to go to :p:p:p

We like to keep it interesting in the Heart of Dixie...

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is good though...... I have a dilemma where I want turn tables in like 4 different places due to the change of shade location at different times of day. The steel will weather the elements!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Mellow Mullet ,

firstly, you listen to Dead or Alive -------- wow!!

Secondly, if you don't mind might I show you what we use in the Heart of Carnival ?
If you prefer no, no fuss okay.
Good Day
Anthony

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like it alot BUT why did you attach it to a rotting piece of wood and not something nice or a new piece of something?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have had several, but they never seem to hold up and I wanted one that could stay outside all of the time, without ruining.

Damn John, you have my gears spinning! I have always wanted to attach turntables to outdoor shelves but none would take the weather. Now... OPTIONS!

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet ,

firstly, you listen to Dead or Alive

Secondly, if you don't mind might I show you what we use in the Heart of Carnival ?
If you prefer no, no fuss okay.
Good Day
Anthony

I did spend my teenage years in the 80's, DOA was popular then. I am really more of an Iron Maiden kinda guy.

Sure, as long as it is PG rated, I have heard stories about Carnival.

Last edited:

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I like it alot BUT why did you attach it to a rotting piece of wood and not something nice or a new piece of something?

I actually built this several years ago, the pictures were taken last week. It is treated plywood, it holds up pretty well for my climate, but nothing lasts for ever. It was a new piece when installed.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Great table.....shitty song. Only one D.O.A.

Yea, it is a an awful song, an is that lead singer a girl or a dude? It was the only one I could think of that fit the spinning theme. I later thought of Ratt and "Round and Round", but it was too late to edit.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Allow me....Steve Pearcy was a great singer for "metal".....the image?

Horrible!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just for Dead or Alive.
He had a wife and husband.

Album is here ---------- he could sing :):):)

Don't really pay attention to singer's lives.:eek:
Enjoy
Anthony

*try playing that Spin me right round in a cafe full of Italian workmen :confused::eek:o_O

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I might have to make one of these.

I have toyed around with is using an old wheel bearing assembly rather than pipes. You should be able to get one from a garage for free.

I almost stopped to pick up an old barber chair that was sitting on the side of the road but stopped myself. I figured it was going to just take up too much room. I kick myself for not grabbing it anyway.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, I am putting this image up ------------ laugh if you wish -------- it can handle 18 inch pots or more.

It's a pouf / foot cushion / ottoman as you wish.
A piece of marine plywood [ extremely durable and insect proof ]
A lift for smaller trees.
To turn, just hold the plywood and turn.

Many years old, thus far no damage the vinyl.

And now you know how the cheapos do it.
Good Day
Anthony

Example - is a fake fruit thingee, the pot is useful.

pouf.jpg

Top Bottom