Young American Bonsai Apprentice ?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good for you for knowing what path you want to go down…. Did not get into Bonsai obviously as young as you are , but reaching out to a professional in the area such as others have suggested is a good route for a summer job/ apprenticeship/ bonsai camp (so your parents will be excited by the summer camp word).
I was interested in horticulture and science when I was young at your age, so in high school I took some electives that gave me a good grasp of everything that looking back was pretty useful now for bonsai that I am a student myself in my free time on weekends at Kifu Bonsai.
Take art classes , take a ceramics course, take a architectural design class( I had one at my high school). Take biology and environmental studies while you’re in Highschool. In college I had alot of horticultural education and soil sciences before I got into the more engineering/technical aspects for my core degree program.

Last edited:

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Good for you for knowing what path you want to go down…. Did not get into Bonsai obviously as young as you are , but reaching out to a professional in the area such as others have suggested is a good route for a summer job/ apprenticeship/ bonsai camp (so your parents will be excited by the summer camp word).
I was interested in horticulture and science when I was young at your age, so in high school I took some electives that gave me a good grasp of everything that looking back was pretty useful now for bonsai that I am a student myself in my free time on weekends at Kifu Bonsai.
Take art classes , take a ceramics course, take a architectural design class( I had one at my high school). Take biology and environmental studies while you’re in Highschool. In college I had alot of horticultural education and soil sciences before I got into the more engineering/technical aspects for my core degree program.
I will definitely join the most clubs and electives for horticulture and art. There isn’t any horticultural stuff in my school so I’m going down the art path. I have art for half the year instead a quarter. Also everyone is saying nursery’s our state and does anyone recommend talking to the owner of all shapes ? I do have the money to travel to a different state but it’s just my age that it would be difficult to figure out how I would go so I will probably have to wait till I’m out of high school for a summer apprenticeship. But yeah I will take your word for taking classes

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
What's your goal with it?
Do you want to become a bonsai master and start a bonsai business after you finished it?

At the moment you probably have some romatic ideas and feelings about it but you need to be realistic about it.
I don’t think I have strong romantic ideas about it and I know that it’s usually all day , all week work and it’s gonna take very long until I style a tree 2-4 years . I know I will be moving around trees , picking weeds , watering , helping out building , and all of that stuff but I do honestly expect that . So the “why” question is really something I’m figuring out myself but I think mainly to see if I’m passionate on being an American master , learning hard work , and get experience with being independent away from family . I want to figure out my life and reflect on myself when doing so

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will definitely join the most clubs and electives for horticulture and art. There isn’t any horticultural stuff in my school so I’m going down the art path. I have art for half the year instead a quarter. Also everyone is saying nursery’s our state and does anyone recommend talking to the owner of all shapes ? I do have the money to travel to a different state but it’s just my age that it would be difficult to figure out how I would go so I will probably have to wait till I’m out of high school for a summer apprenticeship. But yeah I will take your word for taking classes
Allshapes is just north of Rosade's. Probably a similar drive...it's basically an 11 minute drive south on 202...An apprenticeship is great where you can get it. The level of expertise at Rosades is higher...

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So two hours isn't that far, considering that Bjorn is two days away and Ryan is three. Many folks in the U.S. would be happy with that distance to Rosade's. Don't know if you have transporation, but that's worth a Saturday drive.
Well it’s only an hour if you use a plane 😂 But yeah I can still check it out

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey fellow bonsai nuts , some may know me here and most probably don’t . I’m currently 14 years old and still don’t know what I want to do in the future . A bonsai apprentice is a possible choice if I still have the passion in 4 years and know it’s something I’m always gonna be into. If so I would love to be an apprentice at Esei - En or Miria . Esei en would be at my top of my list since I’m more into Bjorns work , his nursery is closer to NJ than Oregon , and Bjorn already sent me ito whips for a gift . Japan would be way out of my way and I wouldn’t bother to go there . I want to hear people’s ideas/recommendations/hate mail/ or anything you guys would want to tell me or ask me !
My advice is if you really think you want a career in bonsai is to make certain you understand what that entails. You need to understand the costs, how you will handle healthcare, where you will get material, how to price accurately, what customers you want to target, and how to advertise. I am not certain but I believe Bjorn was a business major of some sort as well as studying Japanese. Based on one of his podcasts he worked in Japan at a business while apprenticing. Not sure the overlap but point is he was saving money and working on material years before opening. He was promoting himself years prior too. I don't know Ryan's story but I believe he had some backing. People like to think 'I am good at this' so I will open a business. They normally suck at the business part though. You have to understand finances, cash flow, marketing, technology, etc. on top of your trade skills or you have to know enough to hire someone else and make certain they are doing it right. The other thing is people are often wrong that they are good at something. You have to be truthful about your talent. You can be successful without it but you have to own it. You can't market yourself or price as the best unless you are. People will see through that.

Lastly, you must understand what you may be giving up. Bonsai is very unlikely to make you a lot of money and I would imagine it would often not be as fun if is was a full time job. Also, money does not bring happiness but not having it brings a lot of sorrow. The alternative is study your ass off, go to a good college, get a good job and use that fund your awesome hobby. If you love plants, get a biology or horticultural degree and pursue an academic career. Even if you want to start a business then a nursery with a bonsai section may be a compromise. It is harsh advice but follow your passion causes a lot of problems. It is a lot of risk planning to make money in creative endeavors. Brought you by engineer :)

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't know you had the cash for the plane, hotel and the rental car... 😁
I have a saving account that definitely has the money to do so . If I had the cash to do so my bonsai collection would be huge 😂. But yeah I have money to do so .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a saving account that definitely has the money to do so . If I had the cash to do so my bonsai collection would be huge 😂. But yeah I have money to do so .
Then what's stopping you?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Then what's stopping you?
The School year just started and I can’t just skip school for bonsai so that’s why I want to get peoples opinions . Also I’m not the Decision maker . It’s the Sensei that picks . I don’t think anyone would want to pick a 14 year old because most/basically every 14 year old wouldn’t be capably of it . But I believe I can even if it’s 2-3 months to try

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The School year just started and I can’t just skip school for bonsai so that’s why I want to get peoples opinions . Also I’m not the Decision maker . It’s the Sensei that picks . I don’t think anyone would want to pick a 14 year old because most/basically every 14 year old wouldn’t be capably of it . But I believe I can even if it’s 2-3 months to try
Summer camp, or take a week or two If you can use that as a part of your education wherever you end up, write up a report of what you did and present on it , I believe your school would be more likely to allow you to do that if this can be categorized as education purposes which it definitely is. If not , you’re only 2 hrs from PA professionals described in the thread.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wasn't suggesting you go immediately. Next summer or when you get a few days make a trip to Bjorn's.. At this point, the best you can probably do is to start laying the groundwork for when you're 16 or over... FWIW, you're unlikely to get an internship at either BJorn's or Ryan's place any time soon. They're not going to hire or allow a 14-year-old minor to do physical labor for them--insurance and labor laws can be tricky that way.

If you have the money, Bjorn offers private bonsai nursery tours--probably for a fee...Email him before the visit to tell him your interests and why you're interested in bonsai. Start a dialogue with him and others. Don't be a pest, but be persistent.

FWIW, I think the best path for you at this point is local. I know you are mesmerized by the "big names" at this point, but you're overlooking more accessible and valuable resources closer to you. ,People in clubs are generous with time, their trees and knowledge. I've had beginners online ask me if they could come by and look at my trees. That has led to a few long-lasting friendships and sharing experiences and materials. That approach can be dicey for a younger person online, which is why I suggest going in person to local bonsai nurseries and clubs. Ask club members if you can HELP THEM (those are key words) repot trees, bonsai chores with them on a spring Saturday, etc. Believe me, you will get a lot more experience that way than being star-struck with distant expensive nurseries--not taking away from Eisei-En or Mirai, but at this point those places should be something you aim for, not an immediate opportunity.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting you go immediately. Next summer or when you get a few days make a trip to Bjorn's.. At this point, the best you can probably do is to start laying the groundwork for when you're 16 or over... FWIW, you're unlikely to get an internship at either BJorn's or Ryan's place any time soon. They're not going to hire or allow a 14-year-old minor to do physical labor for them--insurance and labor laws can be tricky that way.

If you have the money, Bjorn offers private bonsai nursery tours--probably for a fee...Email him before the visit to tell him your interests and why you're interested in bonsai. Start a dialogue with him and others. Don't be a pest, but be persistent.

FWIW, I think the best path for you at this point is local. I know you are mesmerized by the "big names" at this point, but you're overlooking more accessible and valuable resources closer to you. ,People in clubs are generous with time, their trees and knowledge. I've had beginners online ask me if they could come by and look at my trees. That has led to a few long-lasting friendships and sharing experiences and materials. That approach can be dicey for a younger person online, which is why I suggest going in person to local bonsai nurseries and clubs. Ask club members if you can HELP THEM (those are key words) repot trees, bonsai chores with them on a spring Saturday, etc. Believe me, you will get a lot more experience that way than being star-struck with distant expensive nurseries--not taking away from Eisei-En or Mirai, but at this point those places should be something you aim for, not an immediate opportunity.
Thanks so much and I will definitely follow that advice !

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
If you want, you can come by my house... i have plenty of weeds for you to enjoy. Not the other kind of weeds... the one that grow in pots.
I do think a summer help would open you eyes to see if bonsai professional is in your future.
Sorry but I’m not close to Texas at all but thanks for the offer !

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I didn't find my profession and my passion until I was 27. But the seeds of both were in me from childhood. Complete your education in a field as closely related as possible. While doing so, take or make every opportunity to explore bonsai. I believe in you.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I didn't find my profession and my passion until I was 27. But the seeds of both were in me from childhood. Complete your education in a field as closely related as possible. While doing so, take or make every opportunity to explore bonsai. I believe in you.
Yeah thanks so much Micheal and I feel like bonsai teaches many other things other than bonsai it’s self ! I know grownups who spent 4 and years learning in college stuff they never used but I feel like bonsai can help me with creative jobs and landscaping! But thanks !

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like bonsai can help me with creative jobs and landscaping! But thanks !
I think your right. However, the reverse is also true. Learning a creative job and/or landscaping can help with your bonsai.

In the end it comes down to whether you think you are going to be good enough, dedicated enough to make a decent living out of bonsai. There are not many who can. Whereas many jobs "that you can learn for or on" will be a substantial better income. And then keep bonsai as a big passion on the side.

I have decided to do the latter. I have a decent job that pays the bills. It leaves me enough tim to care for my trees, take some classes and in time probably teach some classes.

Top Bottom