Young bonsai artist from Tennessee..astounding bonsai

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was recently sent the link of this young, bonsai artist's homepage. He is from east Tennessee, and interned in Japan. His trees are probably among the best that I have seen. These artists are the "dark horses". They come out of no where, may not be well known and many times, win the awards at the exhibitions. Here is the link to his portfolio page.

Rob

http://bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/gallery/portfolio/#

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look up the bonsai art of Japan videos on YouTube. This guy is already famous. Best quality videos on the subject.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The source that sent me the link posted it as one of those "how did I miss this guy sort of thing". The name sounded familar to me. However, not one where I had an image of his work in my mind. I just looked at the videos. I have seen some of those videos. Never saw the site though.

Very inspirational bonsai. I especially like the pine that doubles back on itself:D

Rob

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What would you call a bonsai forest fire?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
His name is harder to say than Ryan neil, but give him some time back in the states and he will be huge. He brings to the us what nobody else seems to care to do. Produce outstanding quality video productions of the art of bonsai. I hope he continues to do so as we have no one else that makes multi topic feature length productions of this quality.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Old news...

Watched his bonsai video series over 3 times in the last year and I'm still learning something everytime.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Bjorn's videos are excellent. He has shown best in show tree(s) at the Carolinas Bonsai Expo. He does great work. I think many of the trees in the gallery are in Japan and are trees he worked on while at his apprenticeship. He is coming to Charlotte at the end of August/beginning of September. I hope to meet him then and learning as much as I can from him.

My understanding is that he is/is getting married to a Japanese lady and taking up residence in Japan. I hear he has a job in Japan.

Regards,
Martin

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow Rob...guess the good news is, you have lots of great videos to watch for the first time!

He and Owen are both at Kouka-en. Owen is from Nashville, I believe. Bjorn will be back in Birmingham next month, for his second visit. He's a blast. Great teacher, good eye, and lots of fun. Highly recommended.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Bjorn's videos are excellent. He has shown best in show tree(s) at the Carolinas Bonsai Expo. He does great work. I think many of the trees in the gallery are in Japan and are trees he worked on while at his apprenticeship. He is coming to Charlotte at the end of August/beginning of September. I hope to meet him then and learning as much as I can from him.

My understanding is that he is/is getting married to a Japanese lady and taking up residence in Japan. I hear he has a job in Japan.

Regards,
Martin

I can remember him at the expo years ago as a youngster...I could be wrong but I believe he is marrying a girl from China that he met in Japan and is going to stay on at the nursery where he apprenticed. But, I can't quite put my finger on where that info came from(Dad maybe) so perhaps that is just here say:)

Nonetheless, I am glad to have access to his videos and appreciate the time, effort and good will that go into them!

John

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I wrote him a year ago and asked if he could do a video on chojubai. he said one was in the works. that was a year ago :)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Yes him and Owen's videos are great. I also like the Asian guy that is in the videos alot. One of the videos he explains his view on bunjin/literati. I bet it would be a blast to hang out with them in Japan and learn.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Owen was just at the nursery recently for the whole day on a one on one and was talking about the videos. I love them. The production value is fantastic. Looking forward to seeing them both in action a lot in USA in the upcoming years.

Top Bottom