Young Collected Virginia Pine/Wiring Practice

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected this young Virginia Pine last Spring. All of the soil fell off of the roots on removal - I tossed it in a bag with some of its' native soil. When I got it home I mixed some DE with the original soil and basically stuck in in the yard and left it alone. It's remained healthy, I moved it to more full sun and it's continued to grow. I had wired it up some but did a poor job of it. This morning I redid the wiring and continued to push some extreme bends to take advantage of its' age.

Side/front:
IMG_20180828_100907673.jpg

Overhead to see the wiring and bend:
IMG_20180828_100829402.jpg

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
W, congratulations on a successful collect! Is this spring of '18 or '17? Regarding the "extreme bends" they are not extreme but subtle. I know it's a question of perspective ;-) but keep in mind an eventual finished trunk line. At this stage it's only a question of line.

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks healthy. Mine keep getting attacked by mites

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting soil. Is that a top dressing, or is the soil composed of the black stone chips?
CW

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice little tree to work with and train!
Interesting soil. Is that a top dressing, or is the soil composed of the black stone chips?
CW
Horticultural charcoal maybe?
@W3rk or anyone, how old do you estimate this tree to be? 4 - 5 years old?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks to be 4 years old...maybe 5

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This one is six years old from seed, as a size comparison

Attachments

• 20180718_083208.jpg
    20180718_083208.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 31

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
CW
It's actually just wet DE that you see for the surface soil. It's much more grey when it dries out. The soil is a mix of DE and the native soil the tree was in when I collected it - oh, and some pine bark.

Regarding the age of the tree, my guess is in the range of others - pretty young, maybe 3-4 years.

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for answering about age... I am trying to estimate the age of my own young pine which is about the same size/dimensions :D
So, 4 to 6 years old is presumably its age.

Top Bottom